090918_RAC_AthensPride-11.jpg

Two Athens Pride attendees walk through the crowds while wearing Transgender Pride Flags. Athens, Georgia, September 9, 2018. (Photo/Ryan Cameron rac86114@uga.edu)

June marks LGBT Pride Month, which commemorates the 1969 Stonewall riots, and the month hosts many pride events around the nation, including festivals, marches and rallies.

In light of LGBT Pride Month, here are seven LGBTQ artists you should know.

1. Frank Ocean

Song to listen to: “Forrest Gump”

Frank Ocean primarily produces alternative rhythm and blues and hip-hop tracks, and first stepped into the R&B spotlight in 2012 with his debut studio album, “Channel Orange.” He most recently released “Blonde” and appeared on the 2017 “Slide” with Calvin Harris.

2. King Princess

Song to listen to: “1950”

King Princess, from Brooklyn, New York, released her debut single “1950,” a tribute to Patricia Highsmith’s novel “The Price of Salt,” in 2018. Since then, King Princess, also known as Mikaela Straus, has released a handful of singles like the gorgeous and catchy “Talia.” Straus is due to release a debut album later in 2019.

3. Vardaan Arora

Song to listen to: “Like a Polaroid”

Vardaan Arora, an openly gay pop singer-songwriter from India, recently released a catchy, techno-infused single called “january” on April 10. While Arora doesn’t have any official studio albums on Spotify yet, he does have a handful of singles, including the 2016 “Feel Good Song,” which has raked in over 2 million streams on Spotify and will release “thirty under thirty” in the next few days.

4. Kehlani

Song to listen to: “Honey”

Kehlani Parrish, more commonly known simply as Kehlani, is a 24-year-old from Oakland, California, who’s been making waves in the R&B, neo soul and hip-hop genres. Her first commercial mixtape was released in 2014 and she was nominated for Best Urban Contemporary Album for “You Should Be Here” at the 2016 Grammy Awards.

Kehlani was more recently nominated for Best Female R&B/Pop Artist at the 2018 BET Awards.

5. dodie

Song to listen to: “Monster”

Dodie Clark, known by her stage name dodie, is an English singer-songwriter and Youtuber who dabbles in both indie pop and folk genres. dodie has a few EPs, most recently the 2019 “Human” and toured the United States in 2018.

6. Janelle Monáe

Song to listen to: “I Like That”

Janelle Monáe Robinson, who was nominated for two Grammys last year (including Album of the Year), released her third studio album “Dirty Computer” in 2018 and also starred in both “Hidden Figures” and “Moonlight.”

7. girl in red

Song to listen to: “i wanna be your girlfriend”

Marie Ulven, known by her stage name girl in red, is a 20-year-old Norwegian indie artist. Ulven most recently released three singles this year: “watch you sleep,” “i need to be alone” and “dead girl in the pool.” If dreampop is your dream genre, girl in red is for you.