180622_ajw_athfest_0018.jpg

The Norm performed on the Washington Street stage at the 22nd annual AthFest in Athens, Georgia on Friday, June 22, 2018. (Photo/Tony Walsh)

The most anticipated music event of the city is dawning on Athens this weekend with the 23rd annual AthFest. The festival runs from June 21-23 with over 50 acts for the outdoor stages. With an overwhelming list of performances, we compiled a list of 10 songs from a few notable acts.

‘Supersonic’ - Walden

Familiar Athens locals Walden uses its eclectic rock sound to produce this track which aims to describe  sound rushing at the band at the speed of sound. “Starting to feel it now, building the speed now, nothing to hear. Supersonic,” the group sings. Catch the group’s harmonies and soothing guitar sound on Friday, June 21 at 9:15 p.m. on the Southern Brewing Co. Mainstage.

‘Set You Free’ - Norma Rae

Athens group Norma Rae hones in on its Americana and bluegrass sound with this song about finally being set free. Kelly Amanda Manning and Tyrus J. Manning III’s vocals plead for a getaway while somber guitar strumming fills the background. The band takes the Southern Brewing Co. Mainstage on Saturday, June 22 at 3:30 p.m.

‘Something We Can Use’ - The Orange Constant

The five-piece group from Statesboro mixes jam, funk and jazz throughout this track. A horn line sounds throughout the song and rhythm guitar keeps beating as the backbone through the upbeat song. Catch the jam-funk fusion group on the Southern Brewing Co. Mainstage on Saturday, June 22 at 7:30 p.m.

‘What’s He Got’ - The Producers

The '80s power pop group, The Producers, express jealousy for a love interest’s attention and time. Throughout the anthemic track and the occasional “hey,” the song is representative of its ‘80s spotlight. Tap your feet to the group’s live performance at Southern Brewing Co. Mainstage on Sunday, June 23 at 5:45 p.m.

‘Sober’ - The YOD

In this song featuring The Beatplug, the 10-piece Athens hip-hop and rap group confesses how much the members don’t want to fail. As heavy bass and fast flows weave in and out of the track, the members of the group describe how there isn’t time to slow down. The group’s set will be on the Hull Street Stage on Saturday, June 22 at 5:50 p.m.

‘Rough Night In Jericho’ - Dreams So Real

The alternative Athens rock and pop group that peaked in the 1980s and 1990s tell the tale of losing faith and the walls caving in and love being the cure. “Even though the walls are falling, swear I hear the calling now,” the band exclaims throughout the song. The trio will play at 7:15 p.m. on Southern Brewing Co. Mainstage as the closer for the festival on Sunday, June 23.

‘Ted Fidy (Didjeridoo jam)’ - Harvey Funkwalker

You read that right, a didjeridoo. Harvey Funkwalker, the funk and jazz trio from Athens use this song as a showcase for its acoustic talents and quick changes through tempos, with, of course, the surprise playing of the didjeridoo in the background. Catch this fast-paced band at the Hull Street Stage at 4:15 p.m. on Saturday, June 22.

‘Focused’ - Seline Haze

Rapper Seline Haze tells the world about the importance of being independent and focused and not letting anyone bring you down. An infectious beat accompanies Haze’s mantra to stay energetic for herself and her family. Haze’s performance is on the Southern Brewing Co. Mainstage on Saturday, June 22 at 4:50 p.m. along with rapper DK.

‘Delirious’ - The Norm

The brother duo fuse hip-hop and pop while quickly switching between rapping and singing verses of the song. The group tells of the constant change of time and how each day passes so quickly, all to the beat of a ticking clock. The duo performs on the Southern Brewing Co. Mainstage on Saturday, June 22 at 6 p.m.

‘Fool’ - AFTM

Twangs of a guitar play through the Athens group’s southern rock ballad. While the vocals of the group shine in the song, the sound of the rhythm guitar solo at the end of the track steals the spotlight. Catch AFTM as the rock group takes the Southern Brewing Co. Mainstage on Saturday, June 22 at 9 p.m.