Polar Waves

Alternative rock band Polar Waves will perform at the 40 Watt Club on Monday Feb. 26.

Alternative rock band Polar Waves will show off its music skills at the 40 Watt Club on W Washington Street in Athens on Feb. 26 at 9 p.m.

The band is performing as part of the 2018 Road to Roo, which is a competition between bands where the top band gets to perform at the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival. The Road to Roo will go on for six weeks, and each week, the best bands move on to compete with other local bands. Brenden Robertson, the bass player for Polar Waves, explained the competition.

“It seems to be a competition of sorts or an opportunity to play on at the Bonnaroo, one of the music festivals in the south,” Robertson said.

Polar Waves started when Julio Duran, lead guitarist and vocalist for the band, brought the members together, since they had mutual friends. Casey Long, the drummer for Polar Waves, explained how his friend John introduced him to Duran’s music.

“He [John] told me about his [Julio] album, and I listened to it and loved it. Once I heard it, I wanted to be a part of it,” Long said.

Each band member has a different way that they got into music. Duran went to music school, and then decided to change majors and graduated from University of California at Los Angeles.

“When I graduated high school, I went to music school for three years. I didn’t like it because my freedom was very limited. I switched majors,” Duran said.

After going into a marketing management career, Duran ended up deciding that music was the career for him, and he went to Athens to pursue the music business. Like Duran, Robertson also had a love for music ever since he was young.

“I was seven years old, and I met my best friend who played the guitar,” Robertson said.

Long had a different path to music. He saw music as a hobby all his life until recently when his life was changed after performing on stage and loving the thrill of it.

“I was always into music growing up. I also saw it as a hobby until about three years ago. I just remember how it felt playing on stage, and how nothing else mattered,” Long said. “I don’t have fun doing anything else now.”

The band looks forward to their upcoming performance because they enjoy the musical community in Athens.

“I am pleased that we were selected because we all have friends together,” Duran said. “We have this little community in Athens, and it’s cool to see it take off.”

Polar Waves looks forward to performing at 40 Watt. Before being a member of Polar Waves, Long was in another band, where they performed at the 40 Watt.

“Before I met up Julio, I was a guitar player with a band called Good Looks. We have been around for about 4 years now. 40 Watt was one of our most exciting performances in Athens last summer,” Long said.

Duran said that the band has played at 40 Watt before, and they enjoyed it.

“We played there a year and a half ago, and it’s great and eclectic. It was a fun night, and just playing in a venue again is something really really cool,” Duran said.

Robertson encourages people to go see their performance at 40 Watt because they will get to hear music that is different from the average pop songs one hears on the radio.

“It’s an opportunity for people to see alternative rock, which can be precious in these modern times,” Robertson said.