180623_JEB_AthFestSaturday_0011.jpg

Revel in Romance performs at AthFest Music and Arts Festival in Athens, Georgia on Saturday, June 23, 2018. (Photo/Jason Born)

As the miles sped away under the tires of the van, voices chattered and excitement mounted. It was 2014, the first time Revel In Romance was performing as a unit, and Miami was on the horizon.

Presently, the band’s shows are much closer, needing less than a van drive and more of a hop, skip and jump.

“This is our first time playing back in Athens since we played AthFest,” said Parker Rehklau, 26, a guitarist for Revel In Romance. “We love playing in Athens, it’s such a music city. Here, everyone comes out and brings their friends.”

The local band started off playing small rooms, maybe with a handful of people; however, their success in the Road to Roo competition last year has grown their fanbase.

Revel In Romance was a finalist in the competition to represent Athens, rubbing shoulders with eventual winners, The Norm.

The band has also encountered success when sharing the stage with The All-American Rejects and The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, among others. Rehklau raved of the energy crowds give off, saying how it impacts the band.

“I got to see them twice during the Road to Roo competition, and they were an amazing band to watch perform,” said Lucie D’angelo, a senior social studies education major from Urbana, Illinois. “The energy they command when they are on stage made it such a fun show to go to.”

Alternative-pop is what the band describes their sound as, crediting growing up on bands like Blink-182 and the Red Hot Chili Peppers for some of their sound.

“Some people compare us to Paramore, but I think that’s just because we have a female lead,” Rehklau said. “We grew up on pop music, and we have these pop-punk illusions, but we’re not a punk band.”

The manner in which they perform, the energy they put out and the way band members jump around on stage, maybe that’s punk, conceded Rehklau.

“We like to [have our sound] be very consumable,” Rehklau said.

Revel In Romance produces a sound that the band is proud of and excited to perform, and that audience members will have fun dancing to.

More than just performing on stage, the band is trying out a couple of new things to interact more with the audience. Disposable cameras for the front row to use and drop off at the merch table, or keep after the show, were talked of, though nothing was set in stone.

The Foundry won’t be new grounds for Revel In Romance -- they performed there during the Road to Roo competition last year, so they are willing to experiment and create as unique a performance as possible.

“It’s our first time playing as our own bill,” Rehklau said. “It’s looking like it’s going to be a pretty packed house, too, though I don’t want to jinx anything!”

After the show, the band will keep busy finishing up their second EP, entitled “Smoke and Mirrors.”