Burgerim

Merguez beef burger, California style, and one veggie burger, classic style with Burgerim's signature fries. The restaurant opened on East Broad Street on Feb. 27. 

Burgerim is a 160-store franchise which recently opened in the heart of downtown Athens on the corner of East Broad Street. The once-empty space is now occupied with high ceilings, wood decor and a bar adjacent to the cash register.

The Hebrew word, burgerim, means multiple burgers, and that’s exactly what you’ll get. Their business model is genius including 3-ounce sliders that can be mixed and matched for any preference. Burgerim is sure to satisfy whether you’re vegan, keto, vegetarian or gluten-free. These sliders come packed in a signature box perfect for on-the-go eaters.

There are two ways to construct a burger: by making it a duo (two sliders) with an extra charge for a side and a drink, or a  trio (three sliders) plus the extra charge for a side. With 10 patty options available, these sliders can be mixed and matched to fit anyone’s palette. The patties include beef, wagyu beef, merguez beef, turkey, dry-aged beef, lamb, Spanish beef, chicken (grilled or fried), veggie and falafel.

Veggie versus beef

I opted for a merguez beef burger, California style, and one veggie burger, classic style. I added fries and garlic aioli for some variation, but other sides include sweet potato fries and onion rings.

There’s an indistinguishable difference between the veggie and beef patties. The classic veggie burger comes dressed in lettuce, tomato, American cheese, onions, pickles and a house sauce. The patty itself is made of lentils, tofu, carrots, grilled onions, spices and egg. The veggie burger is by far the most attractive as the American cheese seeps down the side, shielding the patty and adding a meaty taste to the burger.

The onions and spices in the patty house enough taste to make the burger enjoyable. Admittedly, the burger has an odd consistency as do many veggie burgers, but this one is soft in texture. The burger is fried which makes the rim crispy, but after the initial bite, the sandwich gets mushy. Perhaps with a more toasted bun, the soft inside of the burger wouldn’t be as distracting.  

A Trademark side

Burgerim’s fries are not only a trademark of the restaurant, but they are flavorsome. I have never seen or tasted fries quite like these, and they are a hybrid between fries and chips. They pair quite well with the garlic aioli, which gives them a punch. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, these fries are a light touch to any burger. Coated in salt and seasoning, they’re sure to accommodate most parties.

The California-style burger is compact with fresh lettuce, tomato, avocado, chipotle mayo and Swiss cheese. This one is the star of the show by far. It is juicy, but not greasy. It is cooked but not overdone. It’s flavorful but not overpowering. The merguez is a beef patty, seasoned with cumin, chili pepper, garlic, paprika and roasted red pepper.

The toppings are consistently fresh and chilled unlike many fast food burgers that have been wilting under a kitchen light. Let’s face it, room temperature is not the new fresh. Every item is made fresh to order, in fact, the price you pay may be waiting 20 minutes for it. Burgerim is where innovation meets convenient.