In the hectic world that is the Tate Student Center, Sambazon Organic Açai is one option that is easy to overlook. At the same counter as the Niche Pizza Co. lies the new healthier açai bowl option, introduced to Tate this spring semester.

Sambazon Acai Bowls offers a menu including only three options. Customers choose either a plain açai bowl, the Açai Berry Bowl or a build-your-own açai bowl. In addition, each bowl is offered in only two sizes: 12 and 16 ounces with the prices ranging from $5.99 to $8.99. 

The toppings to the bowls is where the list gets a bit more extensive. The shop offers bananas, granola, slivered almonds, strawberries, honey, blueberries, chocolate chips and shredded coconut for additional splash of flavor.

Before my first class, I decided to give Sambazon Açai Bowls a try.

As I walked past the massive lines at Chick-fil-A, Panda Express and the Niche Pizza Co., the single-person line at Sambazon Organic açai made me rather relieved.

I ordered the 12 ounce, build-your-own açai bowl. My choices were strawberries, bananas and granola as my three toppings.

The service was ridiculously fast and I waited only three minutes to get my bowl.

In the açai bowl world, where aesthetics are everything, the Sambazon açai Bowls didn’t follow through visually. My banana slices looked OK, but the strawberries look like squashed tomatoes. The granola looked more like a brown powder than the typical chunks of granola I’m used to.

The taste itself was good, it just wasn’t great. Though the strawberries looked like tomatoes, they tasted good. The bananas were enjoyable, and even though the granola tasted more like crushed graham crackers, I liked it.

The açai itself was rather icy, but the toppings did a nice job masking the stand-alone taste.

After about an hour, I found myself hungry again and found myself wishing I had gotten the larger size option.