Sabrina-Courtesy

"Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" was released Oct. 26, 2018.

Everyone remembers the cheesy party tricks and puppet-like talking cat Salem from the 1996 television hit “Sabrina the Teenage Witch.” The new Netflix reboot is so drastically far off from the original it’ll put you in a headspin.

So, if you were expecting a comedy, Netflix’s “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” is not for you.

In the blood and gore-filled series, “Hail Satan” rings through the ears of viewers as Sabrina Spellman and her coven devote themselves to the devil himself.

Sabrina (Kiernan Shipka), as a half-witch and half-mortal, entered herself in both worlds before  her “dark baptism” on her 16th birthday, where she’ll officially devote herself to the power of the dark master.

Because Sabrina has been living in the human world with mortal friends, she has become attached to those around her, namely her boyfriend Harvey Kinkle (Ross Lynch). She soon starts to realize she doesn’t agree with literally signing her soul away to Satan himself, as he doesn’t particularly care for humans in the way she does.

On the night of her “dark baptism,” Sabrina decides to run away from signing her name in the “book of the beast” only to literally be chased by her own coven in an effort to force her into a signature.

With the help of her Aunt Zelda, Aunt Hilda and cunning cousin Ambrose, Sabrina navigates her decision to maintain relations with both worlds.

While being pulled around by her family emotionally to make a decision, Sabrina starts to uncover more secrets about the Spellman family and the importance of possibly having to take on the evil dark master himself. All the while, Sabrina helps her friends as they find out the more mystical side of themselves throughout the series in Greendale, an average, run-of-the-mill town.

The series only gets crazier from there, filled with hexes, possessions, resurrections and protection spells. Demons, warlocks and witches lurk around every corner to push Sabrina to tap into her dark side and become a full witch.

While Sabrina doesn’t know this herself, she may be the most powerful being in the coven because of her mortal half, and the devil wants to groom her to sit at his side.

This show does a great job of keeping the audience on the edge of their seats with twists and turns during every episode. It’s easy to be sucked into the world of Greendale, as the storyline gives a look at each of the character’s developments, not just Sabrina herself.

Shipka in particular does a great job at portraying both sides of Sabrina’s personality. Audience members can easily relate to her but also be shocked at some of the horrible decisions she makes, even if she has the best intentions.

As the newest addition to the darker side of the Archie comics universe, the “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” is successful in keeping an eerie storyline while retaining its teen and young adult audiences. The show even hints at a later crossover between the other Archie comics-based series with a dark twist, “Riverdale.”