Crocs

UGA students Sally Choate and Rai Laird are best friends who proudly defend the Croc brand.

Unknown to most, October wasn’t just a month for celebrating ghouls and goblins. This year, October was also a time to celebrate the iconic footwear known as Crocs. Taking American teens by storm, the aptly named “Crocktober” saw a record quarter of sales for the shoe retailer.

The brand, which is known for its foam-resin footwear, has becoming increasingly popular among teens and college students in the United States, with an approval rating that rivals brands like Vans, Adidas and Lululemon. Part of this has been aided by Crocs brand ambassadors, including stars like Post Malone, whose collaborative Croc sold out online in just minutes.

While some University of Georgia students are just now beginning to “rock out with their Crocs out,” others have been loyal to the brand for years.

Sally Choate, a senior communication sciences and disorders major from Atlanta, and Rai Laird, a senior special education major from Tucker, are best friends who proudly defend the Croc brand.

“It’s just become our thing,” Laird said. “It started out as a joke, like, ‘Oh, we’re gonna get super hype about Crocs,’ but then we now are very hype about Crocs.”

The pair’s passion from Crocs stems from their days in high school and was started over a trip to the beach.

“On the way to the beach, I saw this girl wear some Crocs and they were pretty cute," Laird said. "We [got] to the beach and my aunt … put beach shoes in everyone’s room and the shoes she put in there were Crocs.”

After wearing them out and about, the pair decided their newfound love for the holiest of holey shoes needed a little more presence in the spotlight. Jumping to Instagram, Laird and Choate began posting pictures with the hashtag #crocs4lyfe.

“We started posting pictures … and [we would] hide a Croc in them,” Laird said.

The potential of the Croc was limitless. Laird and Choate flaunted the shoes on the beach, on tours of college campuses, at airplane hangers, to prom, homecoming, Frat Beach — Choate even wore hers to her sorority formal.

“They let your swag breathe,” Choate said.

One of the main appeals of Crocs is their functionality. As freshmen, Choate and Laird wore theirs as shower shoes in the dorm showers. Other people use them to run quick errands, take out the trash or wear during water activities.

“Your feet don’t get hot or sweaty in them,” Laird said. “[They’re] waterproof, easy to clean [and] easy to live in.”

Despite their wearability, Crocs still seem to get a bad reputation, mainly for their clunky look.

“They have a specific aesthetic,” said Choate. “I feel like sometimes it’s satirical. I feel like some people wear them to be funny.”

Laird and Choate also reflected on the nostalgia that comes with slipping on a pair of the iconic shoes.

“They’re expensive and no one buys them anymore,” Choate said. “So when you see someone wear them it’s nostalgic, like from middle school.”

Perhaps Crocs remind people of a time more innocent, when having foam covering your feet represented a period of joy and play.

“It just makes people laugh to relate to something,” Laird said. “Especially with our history of Crocs, I think of Sally.”

For Croc-lovers like Laird and Choate, stepping out with Crocs on is not an ironic fashion trend — rather, it’s a statement of comfort and familiarity.

“You feel at home — [like a] warm fuzzy feeling in your heart,” Choate said.

For Laird, the Crocs are almost a part of her identity.

“I feel like this is where I’m meant to be,” Laird said.

HeathAston

Another great article, Jillian!

Heath