210327_LMY_SouthernBrewingConcert_0004.jpg (copy)

In response to the cancellation of the AthFest Music & Arts Festival, Aubrey Entertainment will host an outdoor festival at Southern Brewing Co. featuring 20 acts that were meant to perform at AthFest.

Students and Athenians alike mourned the cancellation of the AthFest Music and Arts Festival last week as a result of the failure of the Athens-Clarke County government to provide a final permit for the event, due to a rise of COVID-19 cases in the county. However, a new festival was announced to fill the void left by the canceled festival.

The September Days festival will feature 20 acts originally slated to perform at AthFest and will be held in a five-acre greenspace located behind Southern Brewing Company on Sept. 24-26. It is one of many events taking place with acts from the AthFest lineup over the same weekend, though the nonprofit AthFest Educates, which hosts the annual music festival, is not involved in any.

Troy Aubrey, president of Aubrey Entertainment, expressed his sadness in the cancellation of AthFest 2021, but is excited to announce that their team was able to quickly curate a weekend of outdoor live music to replace the canceled festival, he said in an email to The Red & Black.

The September Days festival will feature 20 Athens acts that were originally slated to perform at AthFest, including Hotel Fiction, CLOUDLAND and The Pink Stones. Doors open at 6 p.m. on Friday and 2 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

Tickets can be purchased online in advance for $15, or at the door for $20 per day. Three day passes are also available for $35. One dollar from every ticket sold will be donated to AthFest Educates, a non-profit working to sustain and advance music and arts education for youth in Athens.

Masks are required for entry to the venue, and are recommended outdoors when not eating or drinking. There are no vaccination requirements.

The event offers free admission for children under 12. Food trucks will be onsite for the festival, and attendees are also permitted to bring outside food and non-alcoholic beverages.