With July already here, it can seem like the days of summer freedom are drawing to a close. When the summer heat gets you down, you can always retreat to a cool movie theater, relaxing and enjoying either a summer blockbuster or a mid-season Oscar-bait. Before students have to flock back to their studies, here are seven hot summer flicks worth catching in theaters. 

1. “Spider-Man: Homecoming” in theaters July 7

The summer’s most fast-approaching inclusion in the Marvel Cinematic Universe comes in the form of everyone’s favorite, friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Taking place after the dynamic drama of “Captain America: Civil War,” this superhero movie will see young Peter Parker, played by actor Tom Holland, lead a double life tackling both high school’s greatest challenges and a sinister new villain.

2. “Wish Upon” in theaters July 14

A less than family-friendly flick prompts the age-old saying, “Be careful what you wish for,” while delving into the horror genre. “Wish Upon” takes the premise of popular slasher plots with an added twist: a magical music box that grants wishes at the price of a violent death. If you’re interested by a bullied teen getting gruesome revenge on those who have wronged her, this dark addition to the summer movie marquee is for you.

3. “Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets” in theaters July 21

As the name suggests, a multitude of colorful and dangerous alien races hailing from a thousand planets inhabit the central city of Alpha in this CGI-heavy, space-themed adventure flick. Two special operatives named Valerian and Laureline, played by Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne respectively, are sent to protect these legions of people from an intergalactic terror that threatens to swallow up entire civilizations.

4. “Atomic Blonde” in theaters July 28

Set in Cold War-era Berlin, this sizzling spy flick has undercover British Intelligence MI6 member Lorraine Broughton, played by actress Charlize Theron, navigating a world of international mystery using her wits and sex appeal. Teamed with British actor James McAvoy playing her intrepid partner, the pair delve into a conspiracy of lies, murder and mystery.

5. “The Dark Tower” in theaters Aug. 4

Fans of classic Stephen King will delight in knowing that one of his most beloved works will finally see the big screen in a dark, glittering take on “The Dark Tower” novels. Starring Idris Elba as the eight-novel series’ gunslinger protagonist Roland Deschain, this film will combine dark fantasy and horror, with a touch of the old West. Be prepared for a fantastical take on what is considered by many horror-master King’s magnum opus.

6. “Detroit” in theaters Aug. 4

Inspired by the Detroit 12th Street Riot, a violent confrontation that shook the Michigan city in 1967 after an unlicensed police raid, this film is a historical representation of race relations and overcoming adversity. Chaos ensues with nightly curfews and armed forces patrolling Detroit streets, and culminates in the death of three black men and the brutal beatings of nine people. This dramatic thriller isn’t one to miss.

7. “The Glass Castle” in theaters Aug. 11

The last film in this list leaves out space battles and sinister plot points for a more poignant tale about a young girl navigating her dysfunctional, nomadic family life and the poverty that follows. Between an eccentric artist mother, played by Naomi Watts, and a downtrodden father, played by Woody Harrelson, this coming-of-age tale dabbles in soft colors, bright imaginations and coping with family strife.