John & Yoko: Above Us Only Sky 2019 A&E

"John & Yoko: Above Us Only Sky," one of the many releases coming soon to Netflix is coming out on May 1. 

Spring semester final exams at the University of Georgia officially begin on May 2, following Reading Day, and last until May 8, giving students about a week to cram and worry about their final grades. Thankfully, the media giant Netflix is adding a plethora of television shows and films to its stockpile this May. 

Has stress from finals got you down? Here are nine TV series and films to marathon and de-stress from finals with.

1. ‘John & Yoko: Above Us Only Sky’ — 2018

When it comes out: May 1

Genre: Documentary

This film follows the creation of Beatles and solo legend John Lennon’s 1971 album, “Imagine.” With never-before-seen footage of Yoko Ono and Lennon, the film will unravel the art, politics and music the couple explored together

2. ‘Dead to Me’ — 2019

When it comes out: May 3

Genre: Black comedy

Starring Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini, this dark comedy will focus on themes of friendship and free-spiritedness. The series was also produced in part by Will Ferrell.

3. ‘Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile’ — 2019

When it comes out: May 3

Genre: Biographical crime thriller

For those who binged “Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes, “Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile” might be a good follow-up watch. Zac Efron stars as serial killer Ted Bundy and details his escape from jails and trial for murder.

4. ‘All in My Family’ — 2019

When it comes out: May 3

Genre: Documentary

Hao Wu, a gay Chinese-American director, turns the camera on himself to capture his own narrative of creating a family in the United States, and showcases the overwhelming decision of introducing “his same-sex partner and their children to his deeply traditional parents and relatives in China,” according to IMDb.

5. ‘Weed the People’ — 2018

When it comes out: May 14

Genre: Documentary

This documentary follows cancer patients and their families in the midst of legislation, specifically Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ goal to prosecute medical marijuana providers.

6. ‘Moonlight’ — 2016

When it comes out: May 21

Genre: Coming-of-age drama

This film became the first of its kind — with an all-black cast and LGBTQ-related content — to win the Academy Award for Best Picture and won Best Motion Picture – Drama at the 74th Golden Globe Awards. “Moonlight” follows the protagonist through his youth, adolescent and early adult life as he explores and tries to define both his identity and sexuality.

7. ‘WHAT / IF’ — 2019

When it comes out: May 24

Genre: Neo-noir thriller

“WHAT / IF” aims to explore the “ripple effects of what happens when acceptable people start doing unacceptable things,” according to Netflix. Each season will follow various morality tales and the first season focuses on financially struggling newlyweds.

8. ‘Rim of the World’ — 2019

When it comes out: May 24

Genre: Science fiction

If extra-terrestrial life is more your scene, “Rim of the World” might be for you. A group of teenagers watch as their summer camp is interrupted by an alien invasion and must unite to save the world as they know it. As of April 29, Netflix hasn’t released a trailer.

9. ‘When They See Us’ — 2019

When it comes out: May 31

Genre: Drama

Created by Ava DuVernay, “When They See Us” follows the 1989 Central Park jogger case where a 28-year-old woman out for a job was attacked and raped in Central Park in New York City. Five teenagers from Harlem were convicted of the crimes but later the convictions were vacated.