180930_CRM_108yoga0218.jpg

People participate during the 108 Sun Salutations Yoga Festival, on Sunday, September 30, 2018, at the Georgia State Botanical Garden in Athens, Georgia. 108 Sun Salutations is an annual event where yogis celebrate the Autumn Equinox. (Photo/Christina R. Matacotta, crmatacotta@gmail.com

On Friday, June 21, at 11:54 a.m., the north end of the Earth’s axis will be tilted most closely toward the sun. For those living in the Northern Hemisphere, they’ll experience the longest day of the year — also called the summer solstice.

But what to do with all the daylight? Though the 23rd AthFest also begins June 21, here are four other solstice-themed events happening around Athens you can enjoy.

1. Free Yoga

When: 10 a.m.-8 p.m.

Where: 440 Foundry Pavilion

Price: Free

In addition to being the longest day of the year, June 21 is also the International Day of Yoga. This day of free yoga, sponsored by Five Points Yoga, Fuel Hot Yoga, lululemon Athens, M3Yoga and Shakti Power Yoga is a relaxing way to celebrate the 2019 summer solstice. There will be complimentary yoga all day, from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., as well as giveaways. If you plan to attend, sign up here.

2. Summer Solstice Celebration

When: 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.

Where: 8801 Macon Hwy.

Price: Varies

Winterhawk Pottery & Home, which carries furniture and decor as well as pottery made in its studio, will celebrate the beginning of summer with dancing, drums and storytelling, led by Winterhawk Pottery founder John Winterhawk. There will be summer drinks and snacks, and Winterhawk Pottery & Home will be donating 10% of sales to help raise awareness and money for Alzheimer’s disease.

3. Longest Day Hike

When: 4-8 p.m.

Where: Sandy Creek Park and Lake Chapman

Price: $2 entry fee

Hosted by Athens-Clarke County Trails and Open Space, consider starting the summer solstice by participating in a hike. The staff of the Trails and Open Space will lead attendees on a 7-mile nature walk around Lake Chapman. Those who want to participate are encouraged to remember to bring water and stay hydrated, and to wear comfortable but dependable shoes.

4. Summer Sale

When: 8 a.m.-7 p.m.

Where: 135A Mill Center Blvd.

Price: Free entry

The Find will offer quality, used items like furniture, household collectibles and jewelry at its summer sale, which will continue until Saturday, June 22. If you’re looking for items to furnish your new home or apartment, or hoping to score some cool collectibles, The Find will be open for business from early morning to evening.