Nintendo courtesy

“Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker’s” “Special Episode” includes 18 new challenges.

Because of both its power and portability, the Nintendo Switch allows users to play console-quality games whenever and wherever. For college students, the ability to play these games on the go is invaluable as we go about our hectic schedules.

Some games are more considerate of the player’s time than others, though. With the five Nintendo Switch titles in this list, time-crunched college students won’t see their precious leisure go to waste after they lose a match or fail a level.

1. Resident Evil: Revelations

Resident Evil Revelations.png

"Resident Evil: Revelations" is a game in the "Resident Evil" series originally released in 2012.

Considering “Resident Evil: Revelations” was originally exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS, it’s no surprise developer Capcom designed the game with portable play in mind.

“Revelations” is an especially suitable game for those with limited time due to its straightforwardness. Overall, progression is based on making your way through linear paths, wiping out enemy hordes and defeating bosses — you will rarely scratch your head wondering where to go next or how to solve a puzzle. You may even feel like you’re playing an arcade game at times.

Though simple in design, “Revelations” is not a cakewalk — you will likely die quite a few times. Fortunately, however, death is never too tragic, because the game automatically saves at generous intervals.

2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.jpg

The "Mario Kart" series is a great choice for busy college students who don't always have time to play video games for long periods of time.

Even though its single-player content offers challenges that can take multiple attempts to complete, “Mario Kart 8 Deluxe”’s online multiplayer mode features a progression system willing to reward players if they don’t finish in first place or even in the top three.

When playing this mode, your rank will increase far more often than it will decrease. In its generosity, the mode tends to allow for a small increase in rank to those who aren’t among the top finishers. As long as you can play at least decently, you’re almost always guaranteed a consolation prize.

If you want to unlock every vehicle part in “Mario Kart 8 Deluxe,” you’ll need to accumulate a whopping 5,000 coins to receive the coveted Gold Glider. Luckily, the ability to play the game anywhere significantly optimizes this task. Plus, the coins you collect in online multiplayer contribute toward your overall total.

3. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Captain Toad.png

"Captain Toad" is a Mario spin-off game chock full of puzzles.

While the lack of puzzles in “Resident Evil: Revelations” is one reason that game occupies this list, the specific design behind the puzzles in “Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker” is mindful of those with little spare time.

For the most part, the camera allows the player to take a panoramic view of each level. As a result, both the exact and probable locations of a stage’s collectables are often evident from the start. Since navigation to these collectables simply requires a physical understanding of the environment rather than any sort of abstract thinking, you’ll never have to work your brain too hard.

Also, “Treasure Tracker” lets you keep the collectables you’ve earned after you lose a life, making each of its bite-sized levels even more efficient to play through.

4. Splatoon 2

Splatoon 2.jpg

"Splatoon 2" is a sequel to the massively popular Wii U game "Splatoon," and features both a story mode and an online multiplayer mode.

In “Splatoon 2,” your character’s progression is measured in two ways: level and rank. To increase your rank, you must participate in the game’s cutthroat Ranked Battle mode. Because your rank will be in jeopardy if you lose a match, it’s probably not a good idea to play this mode when you can’t dedicate full focus.

Luckily, though, there’s a  lower-stakes mode for those just looking for some quick fun in their spare time.

In the game’s Regular Battle mode, there’s no punishment for losing. In fact, you can still gain experience points after a loss and thus contribute toward your level. Winning or losing a match in either mode will likely add to your experience points, but only in Regular Battle can your individual performance still earn you a decent amount upon defeat. When playing this mode, then, it’s easy to always be a winner in some way.

5. Super Mario Odyssey

Super Mario Odyssey.jpg

"Super Mario Odyssey" has immersive gameplay and thousands of collectibles for players to find.

Of all the 3D Mario games, “Super Mario Odyssey” grants the player the most freedom and it’s this autonomy that makes the game perfect for portable play. While there is a campaign you need to tackle to expand and unlock areas, there are so many items hidden throughout the game that you can at many times ignore the story to search for them instead. Because of this, “Odyssey” is ideal for restricted game sessions.

At the end of the campaign, “Odyssey” scatters even more items for you to collect. Numbering in the thousands, the game’s collectables are so abundant, even playing it for five minutes can be rewarding.

Furthermore, although it’s a Mario game, only a few of these collectables challenge you to master tricky obstacle courses. Like “Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker,” most items simply require observance and a physical understanding of the world around you.