Grouplove

Grouplove performs at Shaky Knees Music Festival in Atlanta, Georgia on Sunday, May 5, 2019. (Photo/Jason Born)

With confetti from Cage the Elephant’s performance the night before still littered all over the ground, festival-goers prepared for the last day of the 2019 Shaky Knees Music Festival on May 5. Since the lineup for the night ended earlier than Saturday night, everyone rushed to have one last Shaky Mule cocktail and Malibu-infused drink, sipped out of a coconut.

The chance of rain was gone, and now the festival had the sun beating down on everyone in attendance, but still not pulling anyone away from each stage. Sunday was a day to get all of the remaining energy out, and the performers for the day did not disappoint.

One of the midday performances, Grouplove had crowds moshing to its songs, an inflatable shark surfing through the crowd. The band even began recording, warning the crowd it was for an upcoming music video.

Grouplove had the crowd jumping with its addictive choruses and pop-rock hooks. Hannah Hooper and Christian Zucconi, singers in the group, spoke in between songs on the importance of the upcoming album — including the importance of some of the upcoming tracks and how it’ll be the best album yet.

“This song is about best friends,” Hooper said, describing Grouplove’s 2011 hit, “Tongue Tied.” “It’s about making art too.”

Calpurnia, a younger, indie-rock group fronted by “Stranger Things” star Finn Wolfhard performed with ease at the Ponce De Leon stage.

The set had everything from a cover of Weezer’s “Say It Ain’t So” to the group’s closer hit “City Boy.” Wolfhard described the comfort of being able to perform in Georgia during his time on stage.

Wolfhard said performing on the Ponce De Leon stage — since he used to live across the street only a year ago — made it feel like a hometown show for him.

Attendees head-bobbed their way through most of the sets of the day, but one act, in particular, had crowds jumping for projectiles.

Electronic-rock group Electric Guest played the “Game of Thrones” theme song over the speakers during its falsetto-filled set and launched T-shirts into the crowd by cannon.

While the day was light-hearted and fun, some artists took the time to discuss the world outside of the festival and the importance of loving each other.

Asa Taccone, the vocals behind Electric Guest, discussed how the United States’ current political climate is harsh and asked the crowd to look to their left and right, detailing the importance of loving your fellow man.

One of the ending acts of the evening, singer Maggie Rogers also took a second to speak on the importance of coming together at music festivals and breathe in what it means to perform at sunset.

“I honestly don’t know what to say,” Rogers said, describing the color palette of the sky and the importance of it for her music. “It’s pretty amazing to see the view from the stage.”

As the Atlanta skyline was saturated with orange and yellow, Rogers soulfully belted out some of her hits.

As the sun was going down and Rogers set ended, fans rushed to the Peachtree stage for the last time, to see psychedelic headliner Tame Impala, take the stage.