180307_JEB_YourPie_0001.jpg

Your Pie is a local restaurant participating in Giving Tuesday on Nov. 27,  2018. (Photo/Jason Born)

Nov. 27 marks Giving Tuesday, a day dedicated to promoting worldwide charitable donations and actions. Following consumer-driven days like Black Friday and Cyber Monday, Giving Tuesday seeks to refocus society on generosity for the remainder of the holiday season.

Want to get involved? Here is a complete guide to Giving Tuesday in Athens.

Events

Here are a few events happening in Athens to celebrate Giving Tuesday.

Ciné

Ciné is a local, nonprofit, independent movie theater and art house located in the heart of downtown Athens on West Hancock Avenue. For Giving Tuesday, Ciné will host a Georgia wine tasting with Noble Wine Cellar beginning at 5:30 p.m. All of the profits will benefit Ciné. Donations outside of the wine tasting event can be made here.

Your Pie

Your Pie, a make-your-own-pizza restaurant, will be donating 10 percent of its sales on Giving Tuesday to various charities.

The Five Points and Eastside locations will donate to Extra Special People, a charity dedicated to providing people with disabilities programs and community support. The Beechwood location will donate to Athensmade, a local nonprofit that works to connect Athens entrepreneurs with educational and innovational opportunities to help the local economy thrive. The Watkinsville location will donate to the Food Bank of Northeast Georgia, a local charity dedicated to ending hunger and alleviating poverty.

Athens YMCA

The Athens YMCA will host a volunteering event for members to put together cleaning kits for the Athens Area Homeless Shelter. Volunteer shifts will run from 12–2 p.m. and 2–4 p.m. To participate, email Jacqueline Shirley-Ducote at jacqueline@athensymca.com.

The YMCA will also have Christmas cards available for people to write and send to deployed military members.

If you can’t make it to the events, donations to the YMCA can be made via its Facebook page. PayPal will  match up to $7 million of donations made through Facebook on Nov. 27.

Nuçi’s Space

Nuçi’s Space seeks to end the suicide epidemic and decrease stigma around mental illness through education, prevention and increasing access to treatment. For Giving Tuesday, Nuçi’s Space will host Athens Uncovered, a concert  featuring local musicians covering their favorite songs by Athens artists. Athens Uncovered will be at the Foundry, with doors opening at 6 p.m. and the event beginning at 7 p.m. Tickets are $5 and tables at the venue will be available for reservation at an additional cost. All of the proceeds will benefit Nuçi’s Space.

Avid Bookshop

From 10 a.m.–8 p.m. on Giving Tuesday, Avid Bookshop will accept monetary donations to Books for Keeps at both the Prince Avenue and Five Points locations as part of the #avidgivesback campaign. Books for Keeps is a local charity that collects books to give to children from low-income families in an effort to combat learning loss during the summer.

Charities

Here are just a few Athens charities that are worth your volunteer time or donations this Giving Tuesday.

(fem)me

(fem)me is a local charity working to help homeless and displaced teens and adults who don’t have access to menstrual hygiene products. Founded by students at the University of Georgia in 2015, (fem)me fulfills its goal by providing menstrual hygiene products to those who need them and fighting the stigma around menstruation through education and advocacy. Donations can be made here.

Chess and Community

Chess and Community is a youth development organization that seeks to equip and empower kids with leadership skills through the game of chess. Its motto, “Think Before You Move,” refers to providing youth with a mindset toward creating their best future. Donations to Chess and Community can be made here.

Boybutante AIDS Foundation, Inc.

The Boybutante AIDS Foundation is a local nonprofit dedicated to providing funding for programs that service people living with HIV/AIDS, educate people on HIV/AIDS prevention and work to eliminate discrimination against HIV/AIDS-affected individuals. Donations can be made here.

Athica  

The Athens Institute for Contemporary Art, known as Athica, is calling on donations and volunteer support this Giving Tuesday. Athica is an independent, nonprofit art gallery that promotes local and national contemporary art in the form of exhibitions, events and education. Donations can be made here, and details for volunteer opportunities can be found here.

Girls Rock Athens

Girls Rock Athens works to empower girls, women and people of all marginalized genders through music education, performance and creation. To achieve this mission, the organization provides leadership opportunities and chances for self-expression. Donations to Girls Rock Athens can be made here.

Athens Area Humane Society

The Athens Area Humane Society is a local nonprofit focused on lowering local euthanasia rates through pet adoption, spaying and neutering and programs geared toward helping people keep their pets instead of giving them away. The Humane Society is always looking for volunteers — volunteer shifts can be picked up here. Donations can be made here.

BikeAthens

BikeAthens, a local nonprofit, works toward equipping people with equal access to transportation. They provide bicycle repairs to those who need them and educate people of all ages on safe cycling. BikeAthens offers volunteer opportunities, and more information on those can be found here. Donations in the form of money, bikes and supplies are also accepted and can be made here.