Hillel

The UGA Hillel House will host an event for every night of Passover for Jewish students at the University of Georgia. (Photo/Casey Sykes, www.caseysykes.com)

Whether you celebrate Hanukkah or not, the food associated with the holiday is offered all over the world and is enjoyed across cultures. Here is a list of the top eight Hanukkah treats you should try this season and where you can find them around Athens.

1. Latkes

Where you can find them in Athens: Hanukkah Dinner at The National on Dec. 6

Latkes are a classic Hanukkah dish traditionally made by mixing shredded potato, egg, breadcrumbs and spices, then forming a patty and frying in hot oil. This snack is crisp on the edges and soft near the center. If you’re feeling adventurous, dip the patty into applesauce for a Hanukkah classic flavor combo.

2. Kugel

Where you can find it in Athens: Try this recipe

Kugel has a texture similar to that of a quiche, but with a sweet and cinnamon-y flavor. This dish usually consists of egg noodles or potato and is served in a baked pudding or casserole fashion.

3. Challah

Where you can find it in Athens: Independent Baking Company

Challah is a Jewish food staple. Served on Shabbat and Jewish holidays in synagogues and households, this bread is a labor-intensive delicacy. Made with eggs, flour, butter, yeast and sugar, this bread spends more time rising than it does baking. Save for the next day and enjoy it in the form of French toast for a Hanukkah breakfast special

4. Matzah ball soup

Where you can find it in Athens: Hillel at UGA Shabbat dinner on Dec. 7; Publix

Matzah ball soup is not only a Hanukkah favorite, but a Passover meal as well. The soup is salty and broth-based, while the ball itself has the texture of wet bread without the sogginess that tends to come along with it. This is a  great dish for a cold winter night. 

5. Brisket

Where you can find it in Athens: Pulaski Heights BBQ

Brisket tends to make the appearance during the holiday season in the Jewish culture as it’s a tender, delicious, kosher meat. Brisket is a cut of meat from the breast or lower chest of beef or veal, and is usually on the leaner side. Sandwich a piece of brisket between two slices of challah and call it a leftover meal.

6. Rugelach

Where you can find it in Athens: Trader Joe’s

Rugelach is a sweet, cinnamon-and-sugar-filled dessert that’s typically bite-sized. The treat is made by creating a pasty dough, rolling it out, then filling it with cinnamon, sugar and, sometimes jam, raisins or nuts. The treats are soft, gooey and a perfect party snack.

7. Chocolate coins (Gelt)

Where you can find them in Athens: Target

Chocolate coins, otherwise known as gelt, are often utilized during the holiday season for games of dreidel. These chocolate coins are used to bet as the game is played and consist of a hard, milk chocolate, encased in a gold wrapper. Whether you are playing the game or just getting your sweet tooth on, these chocolates are delicious.

8. Jelly-filled doughnuts

Where you can find them in Athens: Krispy Kreme, Ike & Jane

A Jewish favorite: the jelly-filled donut. Sweet, fried, soft and chewy, this dessert cannot be skipped on Hanukkah. While these are best made fresh, the process can be time consuming, so simply picking up a fresh box of Krispy Kreme’s jelly-filled donuts can suffice.

Tessa Green contributed to this article.