190108_JEB_TateGameroom_0003.jpg

Faculty members use the Tate Gameroom for the first time on Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2019. The goal of the new gaming space is to create additional opportunities for community amongst UGA students. (Photo/Jason Born)

A few changes have come to the University of Georgia while students were away during the winter break. One change is the opening of a new gaming center in the Tate Student Center. Both dedicated gamers and curious students have opinions on the school’s newest addition. Big surprise, this decked-out game room is seen as a positive change across the board.

Paul Paolazzi

PaulPaolazzi

Paul Paolazzi, a junior risk management and insurance major, poses for a portrait. 

Major: Risk management and insurance

Hometown: Suwanee, Georgia

Year: Junior

Paolazzi had a positive opinion. “I think it’s a really cool way to engage students with games because video games can be a big part of people’s lives. MBA 2k92 would be my favorite. It’s somewhere I see myself continuing to spend my free time definitely.”

Malaya Ilustrisimo

MalayaIlustrisimo

Malaya Ilustrisimo, freshman health promotion major, poses for a portrait. 

Major: Health promotion

Hometown: Norcross, Georgia

Year: Freshman

For Ilustrisimo, who isn’t a gamer herself, the gameroom is still a good option for students.

“I always see people in there having fun,” Ilustrisimo said. “It’s not something I see myself using because I don’t really play video games, but I was showing someone around campus yesterday and he was like, ‘Wow, that's so cool!’ It’s definitely something that catches people’s attention.”

Kush Vyas

KushVyas

Kush Vyas, freshman electrical engineering major, poses for a portrait. 

Major: Electrical engineering

Hometown: Athens, Georgia

Year: Freshman

Vyas described the new gameroom as “awesome.”

“It really brings everybody together,” he said. “It’s a nice way to de-stress. [The games] are all fun. You can’t go wrong with any of these games. I’ll come on my own or with friends.”

Destinee Jackson

DestineeJackson

Destinee Jackson, junior animal science major, poses for a portrait. 

Major: Animal science

Hometown: Dacula, Georgia

Year: Junior

Jackson although she doesn’t have time right now, she might “get back into it.”

“I haven’t used it yet but I feel like when I have time I’ll go,” Jackson said. “I used to play video games a lot when I was little, but I got away from it … I think the [Tate Gameroom] is a good thing to have — I think it helps people socialize.”

Lisa Walker

LisaWalker

Lisa Walker, junior psychology major, poses for a portrait. 

Major: Psychology

Hometown: Chatsworth, Georgia

Year: Junior

Like Jackson, Walker also hasn’t tried the retro games but wants to.

“I just don’t have time right now, but it’s pretty cool,” Walker said. “I could go with friends or on my own, I love video games and don’t really care if there’s other people around."