Galentine's Day

Leslie Knope, character from popular comedy show "Parks And Recreation," gives her opinion of Galentine's Day in this Valentine's Day themed episode from season two.

If you were to ask Leslie Knope what her favorite holiday is, she would have a pretty simple response ready for you: Galentine’s Day.

“Oh, it’s only the best day of the year,” Knope says in the 16th episode of season two of “Parks And Recreation,” entitled “Galentine’s Day.” 

So, what is Galentine’s Day? In short, it’s a day dedicated to “ladies celebrating ladies,” conveniently the day before Valentine’s Day, on Feb. 13. If you’re still confused about how Galentine’s is celebrated and you want to celebrate this year, gather your closest female friends and browse this list of eight things to do for Galentine’s Day.

1. Celebrate during the weekends leading up to Feb. 13

For some, one day of celebrating female love and friendship isn’t enough. Why not start off the year right and celebrate during the weekends before Feb. 13?

Madison Olds, a senior biology major from Kennesaw, does just that. 

“I’ve actually had a party each weekend before Galentine’s Day. It’s a different location every time but it’s only girls invited,” she said. “We even invite our hairdressers and random people — all girls.”

2. Grab a bite to eat 

One of the most basic ways to celebrate Galentine’s is by going out to eat. Whether it’s waffles and coffee at Trappeze Pub or a lasagna from DePalma’s, the eatery options in Athens are endless. If you and your female friends would rather save money and spend the evening in, a potluck of brunch foods is both delicious and cost-effective.

Olds has celebrated Galentine’s Day since sophomore year. She also recommends going out for dinner.

“The whole point of Galentine’s Day is to celebrate friendship or non-romantic relationships, especially between girls. I would say to just have a girl’s night,” Olds said. “Go out, have dinner.”

She mentioned that a huge part of celebrating is the food and drink.

“It’s really just food, drinks and hanging out,” Olds said. 

3. Listen to a playlist for the occasion

Galentine’s playlists are the lost gems of Spotify. There are hundreds waiting to be listened to. With artists like Beyoncé, Queen Latifah, Lily Allen and Kate Nash, it would almost be a waste not to listen to some bumping jams on a day dedicated to celebrating female friendships. 

4.  Gift exchange

For Alafia Adeleke, a sophomore public relations major from Augusta, a gift exchange is one of the ways to go.

“This year, we’re doing a girly gift exchange,” Adeleke said. “Everyone’s going to bring something girly and just do a gift swap, like Christmas.”

5. Compliment each other 

Corny as it may sound, there is hardly anything more meaningful than receiving a heartfelt compliment.

Olds agreed with this sentiment. 

“Typically we end up at some point in a circle around the room and just say something nice about someone in the circle to celebrate each other,” she said.

6. Watch a good rom-com

Though it’s Adeleke’s first year officially celebrating Galentine’s Day, she suggested watching a movie.

“I think we’re just going to watch a movie or have a dance party,” Adeleke said.

Netflix and Hulu both have great options for romantic comedies to watch, such as “Bridget Jones’s Diary” or “50 First Dates.”

7. Nails and facials 

If you’re going to cut out a day of the week to recognize the importance of female friendships, you might as well add a little self-care into the mix. Shaping, cleaning and painting your nails, as well as moisturizing with a sheet or mud mask can be a luxurious way to relax and spend time with friends.  

8. Good, old-fashioned hanging out

Regardless of what you decide to do, many recommend taking time for yourself and hanging out with the women you love.

“Celebrate each other. Hang out and bond,” Olds said. “Take a day for yourself before the whole romantic holiday.”

Adeleke agreed and mentioned that though she likes Valentine’s Day, she also likes Galentine’s.

“I like Valentine’s Day a lot and I like the idea of celebrating girl love and being able to celebrate that’s not necessarily a romantic way,” she said. “Just appreciating your friends.”