(180410)_KES_PuppiesatthePark_0009-1.jpg

A litter of puppies were available for adoption at the Puppies in the Park event at Legion Field on Tuesday, April 10, 2018. (Photo/Kaitlynn Smith)

National Pet Day, recognized on April 11, is meant to celebrate all of the furry friends in our lives. If you don’t have a pet, however, here are some alternative ways to get quality animal time in honor of the holiday.

Athens Area Humane Society

The local humane society is an obvious choice for animal interaction. The humane society partners with several local businesses and organizations to put on benefit events that feature adoptable cats and dogs. They also offer volunteer opportunities at these events as well as in the center itself.

Sweet Olive Farm

Sweet Olive Farm, located just outside of Athens in Winterville, Georgia, is a rescue sanctuary for all kinds of animals, including alpacas, goats and chickens. The farm has multiple events, including Saturday yoga sessions with the animals. There are also multiple volunteer opportunities that range from online donation to animal sponsorship.

Bear Hollow Zoo

While not as interactive as a rescue sanctuary, Bear Hollow Zoo, located near Memorial Park, is an educational outlet for some animal love. The zoo features bears, bald eagles and a reptile house as well as various community programs and wildlife exhibits.

Brewery Events

In addition to allowing dogs in most outdoor spaces, local breweries also partner with the Athens Area Humane Society to put on pet-friendly events. South Kitchen + Bar has hosted a “Yappy Hour” event in which Humane Society dogs were available for adoption and patrons were encouraged to bring their own four-legged friends. Keep up with your favorite brewery’s event calendar for future pet-friendly events.

Club Events

Various UGA clubs are focused on animal rescue and adoption and will host events and fundraisers that feature plenty of pets. For example, Rescue Paws UGA held a Puppies in the Park event with food, music and adoptable dogs. The Guide Dog Foundation at UGA will also hold events where service dogs are able to play with bystanders.