Thanksgiving dinner

These tips and tricks will keep your Thanksgiving break busy.

Thanksgiving is a time for gratitude, but it’s only one day a year and during the break, you have eight other days to find something to do to avoid your parents’ constant questioning and Aunt Karen’s never-ending stories. Here are six tips and tricks to keep your Thanksgiving break busy and away from any unwanted questions. 

1. Study for finals

Once Thanksgiving break starts, there’s only a week left of school before finals week. If you don’t already have any fun activities planned, use this time to start studying for your finals to ensure that A in the really hard class.

2. Self-care

Using this time to take care of your body can heal it of any sickness that you may have battled for the past few months at college. Some self-care tips: take a hot bath, sip some tea and relax with a face mask. Get your body healed, then prepared for the last two weeks of class where all-nighters will soon be all too familiar to you. According to Mental Health America, “find ways to relax, like meditation, yoga, getting a massage, taking a bath or walking in the woods.” 

3. Spend time with friends and family

If you’re traveling back home, use this time to rekindle old high school friendships or start new ones with people who’ve moved in since you’ve been gone. If you and your family are going somewhere new for the break, use this time to catch up with them, considering this might be the first time you’ve seen them since August. 

4. Sleep

College is a crazy part of our lives that comes with very limited time for sleep. Catch up on some Zzzs by getting into bed early and getting some shut-eye —  your body will thank you for it. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, “[getting enough sleep] can help you: get sick less often, stay at a healthy weight … reduce stress and improve your mood.”

5. Start any projects due after the break

A lot of English classes require a portfolio as a final, so use this time given over the break to get a head start since some are 30 percent of your grade. Projects around this time of the year take up a good chunk of grades, so getting ahead will make sure you make a good grade — as long as you put in the same amount of effort that you’re putting in time.

6. Sing your heart out to the latest holiday tunes — if that’s your thing

As the Christmas bells start to ring and the “25 Days of Christmas” programs start, people begin to put up their trees. As you help your parents decorate the house or just hang around and drink some hot chocolate play some of that jolly holiday music to that everyone will be in a good mood. Whether it’s Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You” or Adam Sandler’s hilarious (but borderline inappropriate) “Chanukah Song,” music is a sure way to bring in the holiday spirit.