190413_ks_NorthCampusSpring_010.jpg

Flowers in front of the Main Library in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/Kathryn Skeean)

From practicing yoga under the stars to creating a terrarium and cleaning up while kayaking, there’s something for everyone during Earth Week 2019 at the University of Georgia. The UGA Office of Sustainability will host a full week of celebrating the Earth and the environment. Earth Week at UGA kicks off on Monday, April 15 and come to a close on Monday, April 22.

The Office of Sustainability Campus Engagement intern Lily Houston, a junior atmospheric sciences major at UGA from Donalsonville, Georgia, said you don’t have to be sustainable to attend Earth Week.

“I think that Earth Week is going to be a really fun time, to not only learn more about to become sustainable but to take part in sustainable initiatives,” Houston said.

Houston said Earth Week provides people with opportunities to learn how to integrate sustainable practices into their life. Each day will provide an opportunity for students to steep in lush opportunities to learn and participate in sustainable practices.

Monday, April 15

The Tree Walk on North Campus, sponsored by the UGA Arboretum Walking Tour of Trees, is an opportunity to explore and learn more about what the campus arboretum has to offer. Attendees are to meet at Herty Field for the start of the event.

“The designation of the campus as an arboretum not only ensures sustained, energetic tree planting and maintenance but also presents opportunities for studying trees,” according to the UGA Department of Horticulture website.

An arboretum is a designated area of trees, plants and shrubs that serve an educational and scientific purpose. The UGA’s North, South and Central Campus are all arboretums, per UGA Department of Horticulture website.

Tuesday, April 16

Under a canopy of stars on Myers Quad, students have the opportunity to share their practice with Rubber Soul Yoga. Rubber Soul Yoga is part of the Rubber Soul Collective, an art performance theater and donation-based yoga studio in Athens.

Yoga mats will not be provided for this event. If students don’t own a yoga mat, they can bring a towel or purchase one at UGA Ramsey Student Center for $20.

Its mission is “to provide a beautiful space with excellent instruction for those wanting to pursue the practice of yoga without cost being a barrier on your journey,” according to the Rubber Soul Collective website.

Thursday, April 18

This cleanup will take place from your kayak in an effort to purify and beautify the Middle Oconee River. Kayaks and equipment will be provided by Big Dogs on the River. Previous kayaking experience isn’t required for this event — only a willingness to benefit the environment is required.

The Office of Sustainability encourages participants to bring a water bottle and dress appropriately for this impactful and wet occasion.

Monday, April 22

Earth Day Tabling with be an interactive and informative experience at Tate Plaza. Along with the Office of Sustainability Interns, 10 organizations will be in attendance.

The Department of Plant Biology will offer a workshop on how to build your own terrarium to take home with you. If your bike is in need of repair, Bike Athens will be fixing bikes at the event. Also, Karma Coffee will give away coffee on the promise that you do a good deed in return.

The other organizations that you can check out at the tabling event include Bag the Bag, Speakout for Species, Ocean Initiative, Keep Athens-Clarke County Beautiful, Collective Harvest and EcoReach.