180616_ajw_juneteenth_0018.jpg

Girls perform a fashion show at a Juneteenth Celebration at the West Broad Farmers Market in Athens, Georgia on Saturday, June 16, 2018. The celebration featured live music, food, dancing, and speakers to celebrate June 19th, 1865, the date that marked the effective end of slavery in the United States. (Photo/Tony Walsh)

Have no plans set for this weekend? Don't worry, Athens has you covered! Enjoy a range of events from Juneteenth festivities, intimate movie screenings, rooftop concerts and more.

Thursday

Hiss Golden Messenger

Listen to this American folk music band as it performs its new song, released in anticipation of its new album set to drop this September. The show will take place at the Georgia Theatre rooftop from 9 p.m. to midnight. Tickets are $20.

Latin Night

The UGA Salsa Club will host a Latin Night at Academia Brewing Company from 7-10 p.m. featuring beginner's class and dancing to raise funds for U-Lead Athens. Cost of entry is $5.

Opening Art Reception

Hotel Indigo's "Spotlight 2019" exhibit will feature prints by Elizabeth McFalls, a Columbus-based artist, along with paintings by Maggie Davis and Jeanne Ann Davidson. The free reception will be at Hotel Indigo from 6:30-8:30 p.m. 

Friday

*repeat repeat at Georgia Theatre

A husband and wife duo from Nashville will make a pit stop in Athens during their nationwide tour. The band has been working with producer Patrick Carney, the drummer for The Black Keys, to produce their new album. They will be performing at the Georgia Theatre on Friday and Saturday, and the doors open at 8 p.m. Tickets range from $12-$15.

June Gathering

Come learn about drink mixology at this Father’s Day-themed event at Steel + Plank with artisans selling products and samples from Condor Chocolates. The free event will run from 5-7 p.m.

Special Screening of Biggest Little Farm

Following the showing of the film at Ciné, Molly Chester of Apricot Lane Farms will Skype in for a Q&A session. Tastings from the farm will be available, courtesy of The National. The event will run from 7:30-10:30 p.m. and the cost of entry is $12.

Saturday

Juneteenth at West Broad Farmers Market

Celebrate the emancipation of slaves in the South with workshops, live performances, cultural activities and fresh food. The festival will run from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. and is free of cost.

“From Selma to Stonewall: Are We There Yet?”

In honor of Pride Month, Athens Pride is hosting an intimate screening at Ciné about a black preacher and a white lesbian activist who search for the intersection between the civil rights and LGBTQ+ movements. The free screening will play at 3:30 p.m.

Axe to Grind Axe Throwing

Axe throwing stations will be set up in the Southern Brewing Company's lawn for  axe throwing from 5-9 p.m. One wristband lets you participate all day and can be purchased for $10.

Sunday

Food Truck Brunch Fair

Enjoy a Father’s Day brunch from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at Jittery Joe’s Roasting Company with food trucks, games, arts and crafts, live music and more.

Doughnuts + Coffee Love

Enjoy high quality 1000 Faces coffee and delicious doughnuts from Nezda’s Doughnuts, a new project from the owners of Nezda’s Waffles, on Father’s Day. 10% of the proceeds benefit Creature Comfort’s Get Comfortable campaign. The fundraiser will run from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. at 1000 Faces Coffee.

The Secret Garden

Sunday is the last day to see this 20th century play about a young girl who discovers a hidden gem in her hermit uncle’s private estate. The play will be performed at Town & Gown Players from 2-4:30 p.m. Tickets are $20.