180630_ajw_star_spangled_classic_0006.jpg

A boy is cheered on while jumping on a bungee trampoline at the Star Spangled Classic in Athens, Georgia on Saturday, June 30, 2018. (Photo/Tony Walsh)

There’s only one more weekend of June 2019, which is the last weekend before the Fourth of July 2019. If you’re still looking to make plans for the next few days, downtown Athens and the surrounding areas have you covered.

Thursday, June 27

Get your surf rock on with Sail On: The Beach Boys Tribute. The performance will focus on Beach Boys songs and members of Sail On have shared the stage with musicians from Brian Wilson's band, The Zombies and Cheap Trick, among other hit bands. The band is made up of bassist and vocalist Wyatt Funderburk, vocalist and keyboardist Mike Williamson, vocalist and keyboardist Paul Runyon, guitarist and vocalist Matt Thompson and Jason Brewer on guitar, keys and vocals.

If you’d rather tone it down a few notches, Lofi and Chill 2 at the Caledonia Lounge might be for you. The show starts at 10 p.m. and artists like Seline Haze, DK, john.AVERAGE and Aizen will perform. Tickets are $5.

Friday, June 28

Erin Richman, a University of Georgia alumna and author, will talk about her newly released book, “Mary Blair Destiny.” The book explores topics like secrets and human connection, as well as “what it means to have a life worth living.” The discussion will take place on the Avid Bookshop on Prince Avenue at 6:30 p.m.

BikeAthens will host its monthly joyride Friday, a 90-minute, casual ride kicking off at 6 p.m. The ride will start at 1075 W. Broad St. and will end outside Little Kings Shuffle Club. BikeAthens recommends bikers bring a helmet, water and bike lights.

Saturday, June 29

2019 marks 243 years of independence for the United States, and Athens will celebrate with a free, family-friendly Independence Day festival. The Star Spangled Classic will have live music from The Funk Brotherhood. There will also be activities for children and a handful of local vendors to satisfy your sweet tooth, including Lil Ice Cream Dude and La Michoacana Es Natural. A fireworks display launched from The Classic Center parking deck is set to begin at 9:30 p.m. and will be paired with a playlist.

For those who enjoy dark comedy, the Town & Gown Players will present “The Pillowman” for one weekend only. The 8 p.m. show gets inspiration from “Grimms’ Fairy Tales” to Franz Kafka and focuses on a writer who’s questioned by a pair of detectives regarding murders in the community. Tickets are $5. 

Sunday, June 30

Design firm Metal + Petal, Oscar Bites Dog Treats, Good Boy Grooming and the Athens-Area Humane Society are partnering up for a “dogtastic event” to promote Metal + Petal’s first-ever designer pet collection. 

With June coming to a close, GTC Beechwood Cinemas will present a 1975 summer classic: “Jaws.” For those who can appreciate a great white shark terrorizing a beach resort town (or for those who wish they were at the beach), this throwback film will have you daydreaming of a bigger boat. There are 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. showings, and tickets range from $7.02 to $9.18.