191102_GMA_SecondHalf0808.jpg

Georgia wide receiver Lawrence Cager (15) looks over his shoulder while running past the Georgia coaching staff with the ball. The Georgia Bulldogs ended the second half against the Florida Gators with a final score of 24-17 on Saturday, Nov. 2, 2019, in Jacksonville, Florida. (Photo/Gabriella Audi, https://gabbyaudi10.wixsite.com/mysite-1)

Every Sunday after a Georgia football game, The Red & Black will examine a key play from Saturday’s game. This week, we take a look at Lawrence Cager's 52-yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter of the Bulldogs' 24-17 win over Florida. 

The score

Georgia was leading Florida 16-10 with 10:11 remaining in the game.  

The situation

The Bulldogs had just converted another third down on a 3-yard run from D'Andre Swift. At the time, Georgia was 11-for-16 on third down, while Florida was 0-for-6. Quarterback Jake Fromm lined up under center at Georgia's 48-yard line with a 6-point lead. 

The play

Demetris Robertson was in motion at the time of the snap, leaving Lawrence Cager as the only receiver near the Georgia sideline. Fromm faked a handoff to Brian Herrien before finding Cager for a long completion. Despite running a simple fly route, Cager had no one around him — the closest Gator was more than 5 yards behind Georgia's leading receiver on the day. He easily scampered into the end zone for a 52-yard score. Fromm then connected with Cager again for a 2-point conversion. 

The quote

"It was a great play call by coach [James] Coley," Cager said after the game. "We've been practicing it all week. New play. [We] thought we could get them on it. They play a lot of man coverage ... I just know I was open."