180901_ajw_uga_austinpeay_q1_0005.jpg

Georgia runningback D’Andre Swift (7) runs the ball during a football game at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia on Sept. 1, 2018. The University of Georgia football team played against Austin Peay State University for their first game of the season. (Photo/Tony Walsh)

Georgia kicked off its first game of the season against Austin Peay rather quickly, especially on offense. Georgia seemed to pick up the pace thanks in large part to the speed of running back D’Andre Swift, among others.

The sophomore finished the half with 43 yards rushing on eight carries, along with four receptions for 33 yards. He added a touchdown on the ground as well.

But Georgia showed a few new things on offense not seen before on previous teams. One of those included junior receiver Demetris Robertson, who took an end-around 72 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter, showing off his speed as he ran away from Austin Peay defenders.

Speed is a large part of Georgia’s offense this season. Mecole Hardman showed off his own quickness on a 59-yard touchdown pass from Jake Fromm.

Fromm looked sharp, going 12-for-16 for 157 yards and two touchdowns.  But his freshman counterpart, Justin Fields, looked good as well.  As indicated by Smart and the rest of the Bulldogs coaching staff, the two have vastly different skill sets. All of them were on display in the first half.

Fields showed off his legs, rushing three times for 33 yards and showing off his true dual-threat capability. He showed he can throw as well, completing both of his pass attempts. Although the Austin Peay defense isn't exactly what the Bulldogs will see each week in the SEC, Georgia’s offense showed off just how many weapons it has in its arsenal.

Defensively, Georgia looked strong but fell victim to Austin Peay’s option offense on a few occasions. The Governors were able to find a couple of holes for running room with quarterbacks Jeremiah Oatsvall and JaVaughn Craig as well as sophomore running back Ahmad Tanner.

A forced fumble by senior linebacker Natrez Patrick and recovered by senior linebacker D'Andre Walker was the highlight of the defense's first half performance. Standouts included sophomore linebacker Monty Rice and freshman Tyson Campbell, who started at cornerback.