180915_rmw_first_half_539.jpg

Justin Fields, freshman quarterback from Kennesaw, Georgia, rushes the ball during the University of Georgia vs. Middle Tennessee University football game on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018, at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia. 

Georgia not only cruised on offense on Saturday, but it also got a chance to show off some of its young star players, including one who is quickly emerging.

The Bulldogs rode the performances of several freshmen, including quarterback Justin Fields ,in the first half against Massachusetts and entered halftime with a 42-13 lead.

Here are some observations from the first half: 

Georgia offense rolling early

The Bulldogs got to work with the run game early, as junior Tyler Simmons started the scoring with a 49-yard end around touchdown run.

Georgia had no trouble moving the ball on offense as junior running back Elijah Holyfield scored on the next drive.

Riding the running game, Georgia continued to roll on offense, and survived its first test in the red zone, as Fields delivered an 11-yard touchdown pass to Riley Ridley as he was hit by a defender.

Georgia would continue to pour on the points in the second quarter. Tyler Simmons scored on a 71-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Jake Fromm, and Fields connected with tight end Isaac Nauta on a 55-yard pass. The Bulldogs scored on the ensuing play.

The Bulldogs finished the half with 431 yards on offense, with 221 passing yards and 210 rushing yards.

Bulldogs bit by injury bug

181006_CRM_UGAvVandy_0195.jpg

Georgia defensive end Jonathan Ledbetter (13) looks up at the scoreboard during a football game at Sanford Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 6, 2018. The University of Georgia beat Vanderbilt University 41-13. (Photo/Christina Matacotta) 

The Bulldogs did experience a bit of an injury problem in the first half, however. Sophomore linebacker Monty Rice was seen on crutches with a boot on his left foot.

Junior defensive back Tyrique McGhee went down with an apparent hand injury and walked off on his own power.

Lastly, senior defensive lineman Jonathan Ledbetter went off the field and in the injury tent with an apparent arm injury. The Red & Black does not have more details on any of these injuries at this time. 

Freshman serve key roles

Justin Fields took full advantage of his opportunities to play in the first half. He finished the half going 4-for-5, with 124 yards passing and two touchdowns. He also added four rushes for 62 yards and a touchdown.

He also got an opportunity to show off his arm strength. The freshman delivered a near-perfect pass to junior receiver Mecole Hardman Jr., who scored a 57-yard touchdown.

Other freshman highlights included outside linebacker Adam Anderson, who finished the half with three total tackles, and was credited with half of a sack and half of a tackle for loss.

Another freshman who stood out was defensive back Otis Reese, who had three total tackles, including two solo tackles.