180929_ajw_UGAvsUT_1sthalf_0007.jpg

Richard LeCounte III and Juwan Taylor celebrate during the University of Georgia vs. the University of Tennessee football game on Saturday, September 29, 2018, in Athens, Georgia. 

Georgia came into its matchup with Tennessee with a number of injuries to different players. However, there appeared to be far fewer injuries suffered over the course of Georgia’s 38-12 win at Sanford Stadium.

In his postgame press conference, head coach Kirby Smart provided updates on the status of Monty Rice and Richard LeCounte, among other players.

Monty Rice

Sophomore inside linebacker Monty Rice did not participate in Georgia’s win over Missouri last weekend. After the game, Smart revealed that Rice had been dealing with an MCL injury in practice throughout the week before.

Rice participated in practice this week, but Smart said at the beginning of the week that he was unsure if he would be able to play against Tennessee. While Natrez Patrick got the start over him at inside linebacker, Rice still saw a lot of playing time in the game and accumulated five tackles. After the game, Rice said that he was not at 100 percent but still played most of the game.

“It was great to see Monty back out there,” Smart said. “Monty gives us a tough, physical presence. I don’t know that he’s 100 percent still. I think he’s getting there.”

Richard LeCounte

In the third quarter of Saturday’s game, sophomore safety Richard LeCounte went down with an apparent injury, prompting the training staff to go out to attend to him. LeCounte was replaced by freshman Otis Reese. He later returned to the game and participated throughout the fourth quarter.

Smart said after the game that LeCounte got cleated on the back of his calf, prompting him to get checked out by the training staff.

“He got cleated on the next play, and had to come out,” Smart said. “He was cleared by the medical staff, so he went back.”

Andrew Thomas

Sophomore offensive lineman Andrew Thomas, who suffered a sprained ankle in Georgia’s win over South Carolina, got the start at left tackle against Tennessee. Thomas started last week’s game against Missouri, as well, but had to leave shortly after and did not return. This time, though, Thomas stayed in and played for most of the game.