180901_ajw_uga_austinpeay_q1_0001.jpg

Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm (11) cheers on the University of Georgia football team before a game at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia on Sept. 1, 2018. The University of Georgia football team played against Austin Peay State University for their first game of the season. (Photo/Tony Walsh)

Georgia’s 2018 season opener against Austin Peay followed right along with the expectations preceding the game. The Bulldog offense showed off its dominance with a 45-0 win over the Governors.

Here are the major observations from the matchup.

Overall observations

Georgia began the game in control with quick out routes from sophomore quarterback Jake Fromm to a number of players like James Cook, Ahkil Crumpton and Mecole Hardman. The Bulldogs continued to control the game and showed their offensive depth throughout the game, with major runs coming from Hardman and Demetris Robertson.

Georgia’s defense definitely saw Austin Peay’s run-heavy offense. In the first half Austin Peay's rushers found some holes in the defense to slip through. During the second half, the defense found its groove and held up against the running game of the Governors.

Freshman Tyson Campbell started as a cornerback and saw the field throughout the game. He also broke up a pass in the second quarter. Campbell looked strong during his first game at cornerback, even with the lack of passes to block against.

Freshman Justin Fields saw the field during the second quarter, showing off his capabilities as a dual-threat quarterback, running for 33 yards in three attempts. He continued to see time at quarterback during the second half.

The second half of the game was similar to first, with Georgia’s offense running over Austin Peay’s defense. Freshman walk-on quarterback Matthew Downing also saw a few snaps at the end of the third and fourth quarter.

Four players who mattered

Demetris Robertson: Robertson ran the ball for a 72-yard touchdown in one of his first touches as a Georgia Bulldog. Robertson saw the field at wide receiver during the first half, but his first run with the ball surmounted in the touchdown.

D'Andre Walker: On defense, outside linebacker D’Andre Walker recovered a fumble in the first quarter from Austin Peay’s Jeremiah Oatsvall. The recovery led to a touchdown from D’Andre Swift.

D'Andre Swift: Swift rushed for 43 yards and scored one touchdown on the fumble recovery, with 33 yards receiving.

James Cook: Freshman James Cook rushed for 66 yards in six attempts. Cook exploited holes in the Governors defense on multiple runs. Cook was given a targeting penalty during the fourth quarter, a penalty that will keep him out of the first half of the matchup against South Carolina on. Sept. 8.

Other notes

Freshman Jake Camarda debuted at punter for Georgia during the third quarter. He booted a 55-yard punt that landed near the goal line and rolled into the end zone. He also saw two punts during the fourth quarter, one going for 63 yards.

It was announced at the beginning of the fourth quarter that the quarter would be shortened to 10 minutes, instead of the normal 15 minute period.