181124_JF_techfootball1sthalf_0016.jpg

Jeremiah Holloman, a Georgia wide receiver, catches the ball in the endzone at Sanford Stadium on Saturday, November 24, 2018, in Athens, Georgia. The Bulldogs were leading the Yellow Jackets 38-7 at the half. (Photo/Justin Fountain)

Georgia defeated Georgia Tech 45-21 Saturday to finish the regular season with an 11-1 record ahead of the SEC championship game against Alabama next Saturday. Here are some observations from the Red & Black.

General observations

From the opening kick, Georgia outmatched Georgia Tech (7-5) in every aspect of the game.

The Bulldogs had no trouble containing the triple option, and Georgia’s offense hummed along for five first half touchdowns, making the game a blowout before halftime. Georgia rode that momentum to a 45-21 victory.

The offense got started quickly in the first quarter. Georgia entered the red zone, an area where the Bulldogs have struggled in recent weeks, but saw success last week against Massachusetts.

The success carried over to today, as Jake Fromm found sophomore Jeremiah Holloman for a 5-yard touchdown, the first of five red zone touchdowns on the day.

Georgia’s defense rose to the occasion against the tricky Georgia Tech triple option offense, constantly stopping players like Yellow Jackets’ quarterback TaQuon Marshall in the backfield multiple times throughout the game.

Georgia Tech head coach Paul Johnson opted to go for it on fourth down several times to keep Georgia’s offense off the field, but he saw varying degrees of success. The Yellow Jackets finished the game going 3-for-6 on fourth down.

The Bulldogs kept rolling on offense in the second quarter, with Fromm leading the charge. He found Holloman again for another red zone touchdown, this one from 12 yards out. Both junior Elijah Holyfield and sophomore D’Andre Swift found the end zone as well.

The one area Georgia let the Yellow Jackets score? Surprisingly, it was from a Rodrigo Blankenship kickoff. Georgia Tech’s Juanyeh Thomas took a kickoff back 100 yards for a touchdown, marking the first time since 2016 against North Carolina that the Bulldogs have given up a touchdown on kick return.

The second half saw much of the same from both teams, but Georgia Tech began a slow methodical offensive drive that took nine minutes of the third quarter to complete. The Yellow Jackets had nothing to show for it, however as they were stopped another a fourth down call to turn the ball over on downs.

Players who mattered

Jake Fromm: Fromm had a tremendous game against Georgia Tech on Saturday. The freshman went 13-for-16 for 175 yards and a career-high four touchdowns. He was the main catalyst for the first half offensive explosion that put the game away by halftime. He didn’t see much action in the second half, but when he did, he was efficient, throwing a 4-yard touchdown to junior Riley Ridley before he retired to the bench for the rest of the game.

Riley Ridley: Ridley continues to be one of Fromm’s favorite targets. The sophomore caught only two passes, but both were for touchdowns, and both inside the red zone. He now has eight touchdowns on the season, with 450 receiving yards.

Jonathan Ledbetter: Ledbetter continues to improve the play of the Georgia defense with his performances along the defensive line. The senior finished with nine total tackles, five solo tackles and a tackle for loss. He anchored a unit that was responsible for giving up only 219 total yards to Georgia Tech, with only 128 rushing yards. Most of the Yellow Jackets’ yards came after the game was already decided.