181006_CRM_UGAvVandy_0183.jpg

Georgia outside linebacker D’Andre Walker (15) puts his hands up during the fourth quarter of a football game at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia on Saturday, Oct. 6, 2018. The University of Georgia beat Vanderbilt University 41-13. (Photo/Christina Matacotta) 

The second-ranked Georgia Bulldogs took care of business against the Vanderbilt Commodores on homecoming night at Sanford Stadium.

Vanderbilt managed to hang around early, but the Bulldogs eventually overwhelmed the visitors en route to a 41–13 victory on Saturday night to improve to 6-0.

Here are some observations from The Red & Black.

General Observations

The Georgia offense wanted to start off faster on Saturday, but went three-and-out on its first drive. Vanderbilt jumped out to a 3-0 lead, but on Georgia’s fourth offensive play, the Bulldogs struck with a 75-yard Terry Godwin touchdown catch. The Bulldogs would score touchdowns on three of their final four drives in the first half and went on to have a good offensive showing overall.

Vanderbilt did manage to find some success in moving the ball on the Georgia defense early. The Commodores put up 230 yards of total offense in the first half and had a balanced attack. Led by quarterback Kyle Shurmur, the Commodores advanced into Georgia territory four times in the first half, but failed to finish any of the drives with touchdowns.

In the second half, the Bulldogs began to dominate and pull away.

Georgia came out of the locker room clicking, as Fromm and the offense engineered a touchdown drive right away. It was capped off by a 35-yard catch-and-run touchdown by D’Andre Swift, who showed off his explosiveness in scoring on a little dump-off pass from Fromm.

The Bulldogs would cruise to victory beyond that point, as the defense dominated and the offense continued to move the ball up and down the field. Georgia finished with 560 yards of offense and held Vanderbilt to just 91 yards in the second half.

Four players who mattered

Jake Fromm: Fromm was his typical efficient self on Saturday. He completed 73.9 percent of his passes and averaged 12 yards per attempt. The Bulldogs went pass heavy in the first half, and while the offense started slow, the sophomore quarterback led an explosive, dangerous unit on Saturday. His final line was 17-for-23 for 276 yards and three touchdowns with no turnovers. The total is Fromm’s season high in passing yards.

Terry Godwin: Godwin did not make a large quantity of impactful plays, but his first touch of the game proved pivotal. After the Bulldogs fell behind for the first time this season in the first quarter, Godwin reeled in a beautiful deep ball from Fromm before making several defenders miss to score from 75 yards out. Georgia’s deficit lasted just 15 seconds and Godwin’s score kickstarted the Bulldog offense. He finished with 95 receiving yards and two catches.

D’Andre Swift: Georgia’s sophomore running back did not get many carries to start off Saturday’s game. He had just three carries in the first half for 11 yards, but he made his presence felt in the third quarter. He scored on a 35-yard catch-and-run from Fromm to start the second half. Swift also ripped off some nice runs and finished with 99 yards of total offense on 11 touches to go along with his one touchdown.

Richard LeCounte: The hard-hitting sophomore safety made his presence felt again on Saturday. He led the Bulldogs in total tackles with six and also forced a fumble to go along with some big hits and a pass breakup. LeCounte is the leading tackler for the Bulldogs at the midway point of the regular season and has established himself as a force against the run and the pass.

Other Notes

The Bulldogs saw some players get beaten up in Saturday’s game. The most serious injury appeared to be to starting left guard Solomon Kindley, who left in the first quarter after being carted off with a right knee injury. Freshman Trey Hill took over at left guard. Kindley’s injury makes him the second Georgia starting guard to go down after Ben Cleveland suffered a leg fracture against Missouri on Sept. 22.

Center Lamont Gaillard also briefly left the game with what appeared to be a right hand injury, but he would return. Starting safety J.R. Reed and defensive lineman Julian Rochester also went down in the game but returned after the injuries appeared to be not very serious.