190101_CRM_SugarBowl_GAvTexas0374.jpg

University of Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm (11) communicates with the offense during the Allstate Sugar Bowl on Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at the Mercedes Benz Superdome in New Orleans. (Photo/Christina R. Matacotta, crmatacotta@gmail.com)

Texas upset Georgia 28-21 in the Sugar Bowl Tuesday. Here is a collection of postgame quotes from Bulldogs and Longhorn players and coaches. 

Kirby Smart, Georgia head coach 

We prepared for Texas for a long time. That would be an easy excuse to use. I'm not touching that because it has nothing to do. We had an opponent to play, a good football team in which our team was focused on ready to play.

I think in the world of social media it's easy to say things. But 15, 20 years ago you didn't know what kids were thinking because they didn't have the ability to tweet it out or show it. Now, their thoughts change every ten seconds.

So just because they tweet something emotional during that time, that doesn't matter. It gives the other team motivation. But our team was motivated to play Texas. Texas outplayed us, outcompeted us. They outcoached us. They out physicaled us. They did a lot of things better than us, and I think you give Tom [Herman] a lot of credit.

Tom Herman, Texas head coach 

I'll never know what that means, "is Texas back." I'm never going to comment on that. It could mean a lot of different things.  And so I'll never comment on that. I know we're headed in the right direction.  I don't ever want to give any kind of finality to where we're at because we are always making progress.

And the win again just means we're headed in the right direction.  We lost in Dallas a month ago, and it left a really bad taste in our mouth. So the good thing is there's still a lot for this program to achieve, mainly winning our conference title. But to beat such a quality opponent like that the way that we did it and to do it on this kind of stage in the Sugar Bowl certainly leads me to believe that we're headed in the right direction.

Jake Fromm, Georgia quarterback, on getting over the loss to Alabama 

I don't think it bothered us. We flushed it. We went back to work. We realized what had gotten us to this point, and that's going to work, that's grinding, and really going hard at practice. And I thought leading up to this game, we practiced really well and had a lot of good things in. Just didn't play well today.

Sam Ehlinger, Texas quarterback, on his physicality 

I think that mindset and the physicality and the whatever it takes and the fourth and inches is the mindset that our offense needs to have, our team needs to have every single play. And I'm going do everything that I can for my team to put them in the best situation to win.

Jonathan Ledbetter, Georgia defensive lineman, on his legacy at Georgia 

I think it's simple.  You know, Georgia's heading a different direction than it was a couple years back. I can say I was a part of that group that laid the foundation for that. Obviously, you see the standards changing, despite today, tough loss. Played a good physical team.

But the culture of Georgia has become something greater than it ever was. I think it will continue to do that way beyond when I'm gone.