180821_CRM_practice__2.jpg

Four defensive players complete a drill during the University of Georgia football practice on Tuesday, August 21, 2018, at the outdoor practice field at Butts-Mehre complex. (Photo/Christina R. Matacotta, crmatacotta@gmail.com).

Georgia football held its first open practice of the week Monday, with the media able to view approximately nine minutes of practice. Here are some observations from The Red & Black.

Offense

On offense, the quarterbacks began the open period with a footwork drill, then moved into throwing passes to the wide receivers for the next portion of the open period. Jake Fromm and Justin Fields led the group with third-string quarterback Matthew Downing also participating. Riley Ridley and Tyler Simmons led the group of wide receivers, while Jayson Stanley and Demetris Robertson followed.

Senior receiver Terry Godwin was not seen participating in any drills during the open period. Godwin, who has dealt with a left knee injury for much of fall camp, is questionable for Saturday’s game against Austin Peay, head coach Kirby Smart said Monday.

Stanley returned to practice Monday after some time out with what Smart described as a quad injury. Smart noted on Monday that Stanley is also questionable for Saturday’s season opener. Kearis Jackson, who is also questionable with a hamstring injury, was not seen participating in any drills during the open period.

Meanwhile, the running backs worked separately on drills running through pads, with Elijah Holyfield, Brian Herrien, D’Andre Swift and James Cook participating, among others.

The tight ends began the open period working on blocking drills, then worked with the offensive line for the remainder of the open period.

Defense

As expected, junior defensive back Tyrique McGhee was not spotted working with the defensive backs at practice after head coach Kirby Smart ruled him out for Saturday’s game against Austin Peay. However, Smart did express optimism that he could play on Sept. 8 against South Carolina.

Freshman cornerback Divaad Wilson, who suffered a torn ACL early in spring practice, was running off to the side on Monday and was wearing a large brace on his knee.

Smart said on Monday that Georgia would use a four-man committee at inside linebacker, and it was clear in practice that Juwan Taylor, Natrez Patrick, Tae Crowder and Monty Rice were the first four up in the inside linebacker group.

Georgia’s defensive front was working on preparations for Austin Peay’s offense, which incorporates elements of the option. The defensive line was working on reading handoffs on read option plays and the outside linebackers did a drill that involved pursuing a ball carrier and dealing with motions on offense.