180929_rmw_tenn_1half_00470.jpg

D'Andre Swift, a sophomore running back from Philadelphia, runs the ball during the University of Georgia vs. the University of Tennessee football game on Saturday, September 29, 2018, in Athens, Georgia. 

After Georgia defeated Tennessee 38-12 on Saturday, The Red & Black's football beat writers and editors graded the performances of the team's position groups.

Offensive line

Georgia’s offensive line was able to open holes in the running game, as Solomon Kindley and Cade Mays at guards shined in the running game specifically. The problem was that Tennessee was able to put pressure on quarterback Jake Fromm, sacking him three times. There were enough good moments on Saturday that outweighed the bad ones, but the mistakes could be more costly against more talented teams. — Michael Hebert

Grade: B

Quarterbacks

By Jake Fromm’s standards, much of his outing against Tennessee was subpar. But he was still efficient and made quick, effective reads of the Volunteer defense. He was stripped of the ball two times, but he made smart throws and did not give Tennessee extra chances. Fromm finished the game going 16-for-22 for 185 yards. Justin Fields also got some nice run and ran the read option effectively, rushing five times for 52 yards and two touchdowns. Even on an apparent off night, Georgia’s quarterbacks had a very solid day. — Collin Huguley

Grade: B

Running backs

Georgia’s running backs once again became a major part of the offense late in the game, rushing for 252 yards in total. Running backs in juniors Elijah Holyfield and Brian Herrien, as well as sophomore D’Andre Swift, all displayed strengths both with inside and outside runs. Freshman quarterback Justin Fields was a major catalyst, as when he was inserted into the game the Bulldogs ran the ball effectively. — Michael Hebert 

Grade: A 

Receivers

Georgia’s receivers didn’t account for many big plays Saturday, but the passing game still racked up 190 yards of offense. In a slow day for the Georgia offense, it was a balanced and effective effort from the receivers, with Mecole Hardman, Riley Ridley, Jeremiah Holloman and Terry Godwin all recording at least two receptions. — Alex Soderstrom

Grade: A-

Special Teams

The Bulldogs didn’t have an opportunity to make a big play in the return game against Tennessee, but that didn’t stop them from recording a special teams highlight. Rodrigo Blankenship recorded the rare double-clutch extra point after a bobbled hold by Jake Camarda. That, along with several more touchbacks, highlighted a solid day from the Georgia special teams. — Jed May

Grade: A

Front Seven

After struggling against Missouri, the Georgia run defense returned more to form against the Volunteers. The Bulldogs allowed just 66 rushing yards, with 17 of that coming on the first play of the game. To further highlight the effort, the defense recorded two sacks for the second consecutive week. — Jed May

Grade: A-

Secondary 

Georgia's secondary allowed a wide open touchdown reception and did not generate any turnovers. Also, Jarrett Guarantano was able to throw for 143 yards and two touchdowns. While the Bulldog run defense smothered Tennessee, the secondary allowed the Volunteers to find some offense and surge in the second half. — Alex Soderstrom  

Grade: B-