180915_ajw_uga_vs_mtsu_first_half_0013.jpg

Isaac Nauta, a junior tight end from Buford, Georgia, turns and runs with the ball during the University of Georgia vs. Middle Tennessee University football game on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018, at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia. 

After Georgia defeated Middle Tennessee Saturday, The Red & Black's football beat writers and editors graded the performances of the team's position groups. 

Quarterbacks 

Quarterbacks Jake Fromm and Justin Fields both showed off their capabilities in Saturday’s matchup. Fromm had a few struggles early on with a fumble, which was recovered by Georgia, and failing to convert on third-and-long situations. But he demonstrated his confidence and arm throughout the game, throwing for three touchdowns. Fields continued to show his dual-threat abilities, scoring a touchdown for the Bulldogs. Both Fromm and Fields commanded the Georgia offense, creating a multitude of opportunities to score. — Kelsey Russo 

Grade: A-

Receivers 

The performance of Georgia’s receivers against Middle Tennessee was highlighted by the players who don’t normally feature on the stat sheet. Jeremiah Holloman, Tyler Simmons and Jayson Stanley all found the end zone for the first time as Bulldogs. The big-name guys chipped in too, as Riley Ridley and Mecole Hardman both recorded touchdown receptions. Isaac Nauta also had his biggest game of the season with four receptions for 47 yards. — Jed May 

Grade:

Running backs 

Another week, another dominant rushing performance from the Bulldogs. Georgia's running backs are a deep, physical unit and the Middle Tennessee defense was overmatched. Elijah Holyfield led the backs with a career-high 100 yards rushing on a day that D'Andre Swift only saw four carries. — Alex Soderstrom 

Grade: A+ 

Offensive line 

The offensive line was without starting left tackle Andrew Thomas, who injured his ankle against South Carolina. For the most part, it didn't matter, as the unit paved the way for Georgia to rush for more than 250 yards. Still, the offensive line had sloppy moments Saturday, including multiple holding and false start penalties. — Alex Soderstrom 

Grade: B

Front seven 

Georgia’s linebackers and defensive line didn’t allow many points, but the Blue Raider run game was able to find a few holes through the defense Saturday. Middle Tennessee finished with over 150 yards on the ground and over 125 yards through the air. Senior linebacker Juwan Taylor led all tacklers with six total, but there weren’t many standouts on the defensive line other than junior Tyler Clark, who had four tackles. — Michael Hebert

Grade: B-

Secondary 

After registering two interceptions last week against South Carolina, Georgia's secondary was again a turnover machine Saturday. Deandre Baker recorded his second interception of the season in the first quarter. Later, Baker and J.R. Reed combined forces to force a fumble in the second quarter, which was recovered by none other than fellow defensive back Richard LeCounte. — Alex Soderstrom 

Grade:

Special teams 

Kicker Rodrigo Blankenship and punter Jake Camarda both provided clean performances for the Bulldogs. Penalties and other special teams miscues, however, consistently put Georgia in poor field position. The offense was able to overcome the mistakes against Middle Tennessee, but the lack of discipline on kickoff and return could prove costly against a better opponent. — Alex Soderstrom 

Grade: C