180901_ajw_uga_austinpeay_q1_0010.jpg

Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm (11) prepares to throw the ball during a football game at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia on Sept. 1, 2018. The University of Georgia football team played against Austin Peay State University for their first game of the season. (Photo/Tony Walsh)

On Saturday afternoon after Georgia defeated Austin Peay 45-0, The Red & Black's football beat writers graded the Bulldog position groups' performance.

Quarterbacks

Both sophomore Jake Fromm and freshman Justin Fields saw time at quarterback during the game, each showing their strengths. Fromm demonstrated his ability to command quick out routes and also his strong arm. Fromm went 12-of-16 for 157 yards for two touchdowns.

Fields showed off his capabilities as a dual-threat, throwing a pass to Demetris Robertson that resulted in a touchdown, and showing off his running abilities. 

Third-string quarterback Matthew Downing saw a few snaps of his own during the third quarter. The first was an incomplete pass, but the second led to a 26-yd run by James Cook. Downing was also credited with one fumble. 

Each saw a few misread passes, but overall, both Fromm and Fields showed their abilities to command and lead Georgia’s offense. 

Kelsey Russo 

Grade: A-

Receivers

Georgia’s receivers played well against Austin Peay on Saturday when they were needed. Each player got their own chance to show off their respective abilities and many did in a big way. Junior Demetris Robertson took an end-around 72 yards for a touchdown. Another junior, Mecole Hardman, caught a 59-yard touchdown pass and ran past the defenders for a touchdown. Riley Ridley had a touchdown of his own. Georgia had more than 10 receivers that caught passes Saturday. 

Michael Hebert 

Grade: A

Running backs

The Georgia running backs presented a balanced attack in the Bulldogs’ dominant win over Austin Peay. Sophomore D’Andre Swift powered the Georgia offense with 43 rushing yards and one touchdown on the ground as well as 33 receiving yards. True freshman James Cook also had a good day, tallying 66 yards on six carries. Junior Elijah Holyfield also scored a touchdown on the ground as he collected 24 rushing yards on five carries.

Janey Murray 

Grade: A

Offensive line 

It was just about a perfect day for Georgia’s offensive line unit. The starting group paved the way for over 250 yards rushing in the game including a 72-yard run from Demetris Robertson in the first half. The blowout nature of the game allowed some of the young players on the line to gain some experience, something that could prove valuable later on in the season. 

Jed May 

Grade: A

Front seven

Georgia's front seven lost a host of talent to graduation and the NFL over the offseason, but Georgia's defensive line and linebackers didn't miss a beat Saturday. Austin Peay's run-heavy offense was smothered by the Georgia defense. Also, linebackers Natrez Patrick and D'Andre Walker combined for a force and recover Georgia's only forced turnover of the game. 

Alex Soderstrom 

Grade: A

Secondary

No Tyrique McGhee? No problem. The Bulldogs kept either Austin Peay quarterback from picking up more than 50 passing yards. The Georgia secondary didn't create any turnovers against an overmatched Austin Peay offense, but, then again, they didn't need it. 

Alex Soderstrom 

Grade: A-

Special teams

Kicker Rodrigo Blankenship nailed his only field goal attempt of the game and was perfect on extra point attempts. The Bulldogs had a few special teams penalties though, including a targeting call on James Cook in the fourth quarter, that kept Saturday's game from being a perfect performance. 

Alex Soderstrom 

Grade: B