181124_rmw_uga_gt_secondhalf_00011 copy.jpg

Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm (11) throws the ball during a game against Georgia Tech at Sanford Stadium in Athens, Georgia on Saturday, Nov. 24, 2018. The Georgia Bulldogs beat the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 45-21. (Photo/Rebecca Wright)

Every Sunday after a Georgia football game, The Red & Black will examine a key play from Saturday’s game. This week, we take a look at Jake Fromm’s 44-yard touchdown pass to Mecole Hardman in Georgia’s 45-21 win over Georgia Tech.

The score

Georgia already led Georgia Tech 21-7 with 9:22 remaining in the first half. After Georgia Tech turned the ball over on downs at its own 44-yard line, the Bulldogs tacked more points on the board on the first play of the drive.

The situation

Georgia was already up two touchdowns. After the Bulldogs jumped out to an early 14-0 lead, at the end of the first quarter, Georgia Tech’s Juanyeh Parker returned Rodrigo Blankenship’s kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown to make it 14-7. Georgia quickly responded, as Fromm threw his second touchdown pass to Jeremiah Holloman. The Bulldogs then got a fourth-down stop to set up Fromm’s third touchdown pass of the day.

180929_rmw_tenn_1half_00609.jpg

Mecole Hardman, a junior wide receiver from Bowman, Georgia, turns and rushes the ball during the University of Georgia vs. the University of Tennessee football game on Saturday, September 29, 2018, in Athens, Georgia. 

The play

On the first play of the drive, Fromm took the snap with Georgia on Georgia Tech’s 44-yard line. Mecole Hardman lined up in the slot and ran straight downfield as soon as the ball was snapped. Hardman easily outran his defender, Georgia Tech linebacker Brant Mitchell, and got open. Fromm hit him inside the 5-yard line and he cruised into the end zone to give Georgia a 28-7 lead.

The quote

“Great play call versus a great coverage, schemed it up really nice,” Fromm said. “Any time you got [No.] 4 in a foot race with anybody, I'm taking [No.] 4, and he did an awesome job getting open, and just trying to put the ball there and make a play.”