171118_kentucky_0011.jpg

Georgia head coach Kirby Smart claps before Georgia takes the field before the start of a college football game between Georgia and Kentucky at Sanford Stadium, on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017. (Photo/Casey Sykes, www.caseysykes.com)

G-Day 2018 is set to kickoff at 4 p.m. inside Sanford Stadium in Athens. From inside the press box, assistant sports editor Collin Huguley will run this live blog while staff writer Janey Murray tweets about the action.

Final thoughts: G-Day was a terrific showcase for a Georgia defense that underwent a lot of personnel turnover. The two defenses combined for 11 sacks and the first-team defense looked particularly strong.

The Black defense tallied three interceptions against Georgia's first-team offense and did not surrender a touchdown until the Fromm hit Ridley for a deep touchdown pass with under two minutes left. William Poole flashed in the secondary with an interception and Monty Rice had 14 tackles for the Red defense. Georgia's defense will feature some new faces from last season but it showed today that it should be capable of being an excellent unit once again.

Both quarterbacks had good moments but neither really looked spectacular. The defenses have a lot to do with that but Fromm turned it over multiple times and completed just 50 percent of his passes. Fields had a pretty solid day but threw an interception late in the game that put a damper on his good second half.

Georgia still has questions to answer and it will be much easier to learn more in the fall once more freshmen get on campus and some injuries get sorted out. But it was clear today that Georgia can still be a team that leans heavily on a strong defense.

FINAL: Black 21, Red 13.

0:30, 4th Quarter: Red turns it over on downs and it appears that Black will win the game.

0:55, 4th Quarter: Fromm hits Hardman over the middle to get Red near midfield. J.R. Reed laid a monster hit on Hardman.

1:16, 4th Quarter: The Red defense gets a stop and Fromm will get the ball back with a chance to tie the game late.

Black leads 21-13.

1:42, 4th Quarter: TOUCHDOWN. Fromm goes deep on the first play after the pick and hits Ridley for a 57-yard score. PAT good. 21-13 Black. Nice deep ball from Fromm, who finally hits one after taking several shots downfield today.

1:49, 4th Quarter: Fields has his pass jumped and picked off by K.J. Smith. One of few blemishes on a really good second half from Fields.

2:25, 4th Quarter: Fields runs for 22 yards to convert third-and-long. The black team can now wind down much of the remaining clock.

3:27, 4th Quarter: Fromm has back-to-back passes tipped and Red turns it over on downs.

4:59, 4th Quarter: After the Black drive ended quickly, Fromm hits Ridley to convert on fourth down. Red is on the Black 36-yard line.

9:16, 4th Quarter: Red punts and Fields returns at quarterback for the black team.

11:24, 4th Quarter: Fromm just misses deep. He was going for Hardman, who had a step on LeCounte, but Fromm's pass was just a little too far. Rough second half for Fromm.

12:24, 4th Quarter: Buce misses a 46-yard field goal for the black team and the lead remains 21-6.

Black leads 21-6.

0:00, 3rd Quarter: Bennett has the Black offense in Red territory. Black still leads 21-6 heading into the fourth.

2:49, 3rd Quarter: Stetson Bennett is now in at quarterback for the black team.

2:49, 3rd Quarter: Fromm is picked off again. This time by William Poole. Two picks now for Fromm and Black is in firm control.

Black leads 21-6.

5:09, 3rd Quarter: TOUCHDOWN. Fields throws a nice fade to the back right corner of the end zone and it is caught by Matt Landers from 15 yards out. PAT good. 21-6 Black. Fields has looked great out of halftime. Two very good drives. He is now 14-for-23 for 192 yards and a touchdown.

9:55, 3rd Quarter: The red team tries some trickery and it backfires. Mecole Hardman throws a pass and it is picked off by sophomore safety Richard LeCounte. Black takes over at the Red 45-yard line.

Black leads 14-6.

10:49, 3rd Quarter: TOUCHDOWN. Prather Hudson runs it in from two yards out. 14-6 Black after the PAT. Seven plays, 70 yards out of the locker rooms for Fields and the Black offense. Good drive for Fields.

Attendance is 82,184. 

11:42, 3rd Quarter: Fields hits Holloman for 35 yards on third down to put the black team on 2-yard line.

15:00, 3rd Quarter: Blankenship kicks off to start the half. Touchback. Fields and the black team take over at the 30.

Halftime thoughts: The defenses for both teams have looked strong. The two defenses have combined for seven sacks in the first half and have done well to use pressure to kill decent drives by both offenses. Baker's interception of Fromm that was returned for a touchdown proves to be the deciding play thus far in the game. The Black defense has also forced the red team to settle for field goals and held up well in the red zone.

Outside of his interception, Fromm has looked pretty sharp. He is currently 10-for-15 for 82 yards with the one interception. He had one pretty deep ball dropped in the end zone by Riley Ridley that would have made his stats look much better.

Fields has had his moments but has not made any jaw-dropping throws. He has gone 9-for-16 for 118 yards with no touchdowns or interceptions. He has been helped out by some runs after the catch but he has made good decisions and not forced much.

The running game for both teams has not been a big factor and the passing games have taken center stage thus far on offense. Prather Hudson has just two carries for the black team. Holyfield and Herrien have combined for nine carries for 43 yards for the red team, which is solid production but the team has thrown it 20 times.

HALF: Black 7, Red 6.

0:00, 2nd Quarter: Buce misses a 33-yard field goal and Black leads 7-6 at the half. Baker's pick six is the only touchdown of the game so far.

0:41, 2nd Quarter: David Marshall sacks Fields to force Black to use a timeout. The black team faces third-and-18.

1:03, 2nd Quarter: Fields hits Ahkil Crumpton over the middle and he takes it after the catch for a big 34-yard gain into Red territory.

1:12, 2nd Quarter: Devonte Wyatt sacked Fields on the first play of the drive and an incompletion puts Black in a quick third-and-long.

Black leads 7-6.

1:31, 2nd Quarter: Blankenship hits from 35 yards out and Black's lead is down to 7-6. An intentional grounding penalty on Fromm pushed the attempt back several yards but Blankenship still hit it.

1:34, 2nd Quarter: D'Andre Walker pressures Fromm and forces him to throw it away on third down. Blankenship to attempt another field goal.

2:01, 2nd Quarter: Defensive lineman Malik Herring is called for a personal foul to push the Red offense to the 11-yard line.

2:44, 2nd Quarter: Fromm has completed four straight and Red is now inside the Black 25-yard line. Herrien had the last catch.

3:03, 2nd Quarter: Fromm re-enters at quarterback for the red team and completes a pass to Stanley on the first play.

3:45, 2nd Quarter: Fields gets sacked on third down by Keyon Brown and Black will punt. Three and out for Fields and crew.

5:17, 2nd Quarter: Black takes over on its own 30-yard line. Fields remains in the game at quarterback.

Black leads 7-3.

5:19, 2nd Quarter: FIELD GOAL. Rodrigo Blankenship hits a 41-yard field goal for the red team to make it 7-3 Black. Red goes 64 yards in eight plays on Bennett's first drive at quarterback.

7:57, 2nd Quarter: Bennett hits Trey Blount for 45 yards to get the red team to the Black 31-yard line.

9:47, 2nd Quarter: Redshirt freshman Stetson Bennett is now in at quarterback for Red. Fromm exits having gone 6-for-10 for 42 yards and an interception.

10:32, 2nd Quarter: Monty Rice sacks Fields to force a fourth down. Black will punt. Both offenses have been able to cross midfield but not much more than that.

13:55, 2nd Quarter: Fields hits Jeremiah Holloman to get Black into Red territory after the second play of the drive.

14:52, 2nd Quarter: Fields runs for a first down on the first play of the second quarter.

0:00, 1st Quarter: The Bblack team's return unit is flagged for illegal substitution but Red still has to punt. Fields and the Black offense will take over at the beginning of the second quarter. Still 7-0 Black.

1:07, 1st Quarter: The Red offense stalls again in Black territory. Fromm is nearly picked off again by Richard LeCounte but he could not hang on. Red will punt and freshman Kearis Jackson is back to receive.

2:00, 1st Quarter: Fromm goes deep for Ridley and puts it on the money in the end zone from 44 yards out. But Ridley cannot hang on and he is now down on the field. Incomplete pass. Ridley has now walked off under his own power.

3:00, 1st Quarter: Fromm compeltes his first pass after the pick for five yards to Nauta. Herrien then runs for a first down to the Red 42-yard line.

Black leads 7-0.

4:04, 1st Quarter: TOUCHDOWN. Deandre Baker picks off Fromm and returns it for a touchdown from 32 yards out. Buce's extra point is good. 7-0 Black.

4:42, 1st Quarter: Fromm goes deep for Jayson Stanley down the right side but it is just off the fingertips of Stanley.

5:44, 1st Quarter: The black team sees its drive stall at the 43-yard line of the red team. Bill Rubright punts and it is a touchback. Still 0-0 over halfway through the first quarter.

7:38, 1st Quarter: After completing his first three passes, Fields sails one out of bounds while going for Tyler Simmons deeper down the right side. 

8:41, 1st Quarter: Fields hits on his second pass to Ahkil Crumpton for 12 yards. Two quick, easy throws for Fields early.

9:17, 1st Quarter: Fields' first pass is complete to running back Prather Hudson for a gain of eight yards.

10:28, 1st Quarter: The defense of the black team forces a stop and Marshall Long punts it into the end zone for a touchback. Here comes Justin Fields at quarterback for Black.

12:58, 1st Quarter: Brian Herrien converts a third down for the Red offense. The red team is at the 44-yard line of the black team. Terry Godwin also made a catch earlier in the drive after dealing with an injury this week.

15:00, 1st Quarter: Jake Fromm leads the red team onto the field and completes a pass to Isaac Nauta on the first play for six yards. Elijah Holyfield starts at running back. Sophomore running back D'Andre Swift has dealt with a groin injury this spring and it does not look like he will play today. Sophomore William Poole starts at the star position on defense with Deandre Baker and Tyrique McGhee at cornerback.

15:00, 1st Quarter: Brooks Buce kicks off for the black team and things are underway in Athens. It's a touchback.

3:58 p.m.: Mecole Hardman led the red team out of the tunnel. The black team came out second behind defensive linemen Jonathan Ledbetter and Tyler Clark.

3:54 p.m.: Chubb and Michel are now walking the Rose Bowl trophy to midfield to deafening cheers.

3:50 p.m.: Aside from the west end zone area, the stadium is looking mostly full with about 10 minutes until kickoff. Looks to be a much stronger turnout than last year's game.

3:26 p.m.: Senior defensive lineman Jonathan Ledbetter led the rest of the Bulldogs out of the tunnel and the entire team is out on the field for warmups.

3:21 p.m.: A handful of players have now taken the field in full pads. A little over half an hour until kickoff now.

3:01 p.m.: Nick Chubb and Sony Michel are in attendance and each one is wearing the other's jersey.

2:56 p.m.: Some special teamers have taken the field, including kicker Rodrigo Blankenship, and the rest of the team is entering the stadium now. Justin Fields drew loud cheers after being shown on the video board.

2:38 p.m.: Highlight videos from each of Georgia's games from 2017 are now being played on the video board. The video from the Florida game drew especially loud cheers from the crowd.

2:24 p.m.: The alumni flag football game ended in a 14-14 tie. A little more than 90 minutes away from kickoff now.

1:34 p.m.: Less than two and a half hours from kickoff now and there is already a nice crowd on hand to watch the alumni flag football game. Obviously, no one is seated in the west end zone due to the ongoing construction. Also, former Georgia wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, who had most of his left hand amputated after an ATV accident in 2017, is playing quarterback for one of the teams. 

BOBJACKBOB

I am really interested in your skills has anyone tried to test Games?

https://bit.ly/2HnJBA1