Boulevard

Boulevard is home to a spectrum of historic buildings, from mansions to mill cottages. (Photo/ Julian Alexander)

Founded in the late 1800s, the Boulevard Historic District is named after its widest avenue. Boulevard became a streetcar suburb at the turn of the 19th century and is popular today for its pedestrian accessibility and sense of community. Neoclassical and Queen Anne-style homes line Boulevard, while brightly painted wood cottages, many the former residences of textile mill workers, dot the side streets. This mostly residential area is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 

Casual eats 

Bread Basket — Venture inside the gas station on Boulevard to find delicious biscuits before they sell out during the morning rush.

White Tiger Gourmet — Known for barbecue (including vegetarian options) and hearty sandwiches (Bonus: It’s BYOB).

Maepole — A casual restaurant from chef Peter Dale serving non-GMO produce and meats in the form of build-your-own plates. Use the easy online ordering system for takeout. 

Tlaloc — Options ranging from Salvadoran pupusas to Tex-Mex combos make it a favorite of students and the Athens Latinx community.