"R.E.M" Trestle

This wooden railroad trestle in Dudley Park is on the back cover of R.E.M.'s debut album, "Murmur." (Photo/Reynolds Rogers)

Stretching along the Oconee River between Third and Oconee streets, Chicopee-Dudley is named after the Chicopee building, a historic former mill, and Dudley Park, which is directly across the street. Although close to downtown and campus, it offers plenty of ways to experience nature. 

Have breakfast all day

Long lines characterize Mama's Boy, the Oconee Street restaurant with a menu of updated Southern classics, including huge biscuit sandwiches and “Chocolate Cake for Breakfast.”

Take a musical tour

For R.E.M. fans, three major landmarks can be found in this neighborhood: The wooden railroad trestle featured on the “Murmur” album cover, the Steeple of St. Mary’s Church, where the band played its first show, and Weaver D’s Delicious Fine Foods, famous for the slogan “Automatic for the People.”

Get moving

Trail Creek Park contains the Athens Heritage Trail, dotted with historical markers and displays, and connects to the North Oconee River Greenway bike/walk pathways.