200616_JCA_IndependentBaking_012.jpg

Kevin Scollo poses for a portrait on Tuesday, June 16, 2020, at Independent Baking Co. in Athens, Georgia. Scollo purchased the bakery in late February from the previous owners. (Photo/Julian Alexander, jalexander@randb.com)

Walking distance from campus, Five Points is popular for its restaurants and boutiques. The namesake intersection combines S. Milledge Avenue and S. Lumpkin Street with smaller streets lined by historic homes. 

Dine fine

• The Expat — French bistro fare and stellar cocktails shine. 
  • Donna Chang’s — Upgraded spins on Chinese takeout classics.

Eat cheap

• Cali N Tito’s — Central American menu and a BYOB policy make this popular with students. 
  • El Barrio — Gourmet tacos priced below $4 and  an expansive outdoor patio.
  • ADD Drug — Revel in nostalgia at this lunch counter. 

Indulge a little

Arrive early at Independent Baking Co. for fresh-from-the-oven French breads and pastries, or spend an afternoon sipping coffee on the patio of Condor Chocolates, which offers Fair Trade truffles and bar chocolate as well as gelato and baked goods. 

Go upstairs/downstairs

The Pine Bar and The Root, one upstairs and the other downstairs, are sibling spots that feature small plates and lots of wine. 

See the bears

Memorial Park on Gran Ellen Drive houses trails, a dog park, swimming pool and community center. Its key attraction is Bear Hollow Zoo