CNH_20200812_M3YOGA-21.jpg

Athens’ M3 Yoga Studio hosts an outdoor yoga session in the Tree Room on Wednesday, August 12, 2020. All M3 Yoga classes are now capped at 12 people to allow for proper social distancing. (Photo/Caroline Head)

Less than a mile from downtown, Pulaski Heights was originally home to a diverse mix of clerks, blue-collar workers and craftsmen. Today, renovated cottages and modern homes line the neighborhood’s hilly streets. 

The adjacent North Chase Industrial District includes a number of industrial buildings — some still in business and others converted to retail or residential use.

Wander ex-warehouses

Formerly cotton storage, the Chase Park Warehouses today house a variety of businesses including artists’ studios. A must-see highlight is the Tree Room — a restful courtyard built around large, otherwise obtrusive trees. For a twist on fitness, check out M3 Yoga and Canopy Studio.

Barbecue and arts

The L.M. Leathers Sons plant on Pulaski Street now houses ATHICA, a contemporary gallery, as well as local favorite Pulaski Heights BBQ, which showcases locally produced meats and offers options for vegetarians. (Try the smoked cauliflower.)

Caffeine and cocktails

Buvez is a coffee shop by day and cocktail spot by night. Across the street, Jittery Joe’s Roaster operates in a converted Quonset hut. This headquarters of the local coffee empire is the place to stop in to watch coffee alchemy.

Blaze a trail

The Pulaski Heights Trail is a short walk/bike path that connects the area to downtown.