Just beyond “the Loop” highway which encircles Athens, this area contains a mix of established subdivisions, new developments and apartment complexes. Convenience to campus and the Veterinary Teaching Hospital makes this area popular with students and faculty alike.
Southeast Clarke Park sprawls over 124 acres and contains everything from a dog park and BMX/skateboard park to nature paths and a splash-pad playground.
East Side eateries
- Choo Choo — Moderately priced Asian fusion and open past midnight.
- Cali N Tito’s Eastside — Arcade games, picnic tables and vibrant decor.
- Mannaweenta — An Ethiopian/Eritrean spot that offers traditional cuisine.
- Lil Ice Cream Dude’s Cool World — Operated by teenager Beau Shell who got his start at age 8 with an ice cream cart.
- Sweetie Pie by Savie — Takeout spot for a quick latte and scone — or where to order an entire cake for your next big event.