Chicken and waffles at The Place

Chicken & Waffle with Gouda grits at The Place in downtown Athens, Georgia, on Thursday, March 5, 2020. (Photo/Caroline Barnes)

Here’s a short list of spots downtown that have been open, or re-opened, during the pandemic and have adjusted to CDC guidelines. Consult our online guide for the most current hours and options and to find details on dozens of other spots.

Breakfast and Brunch

Athens Bagel Company

Need a quick morning bite? This Jackson Street spot close to campus is the place to go for hearty bagels with creative toppings. 

Mayflower Restaurant

This diner-style café has been run by the Vaughn family in the same Broad Street location since 1948. Cash only.

Lunch

Dawg Gone Good BBQ 

Using his grandmother’s recipes and personal creations, owner William Hardy keeps things simple but tasty. Outdoor picnic tables can also be found at this West Hancock Avenue spot.

Lindsey’s Culinary Market 

This North Thomas Street spot offers farm-fresh Southern favorites. Stop by for a chicken salad sandwich or seasonally inspired soups. Good to know if you’re running late: The restaurant is open til 5 p.m.

Ted’s Most Best

Known for its enviable patio, complete with a bocce ball court, Ted’s on West Washington Street stands out thanks to artisan individual pizzas, many available on gluten-free dough. 

Trappeze Pub

Famous for its enormous beer selection, this pub at the corner of Hull and West Washington streets serves superior bar fare with an emphasis on locally sourced foods. 

Dinner

FIVE Athens 

A streamlined menu at this spacious North Hull Street restaurant makes ordering simple: Select from one of five appetizers, one of five entrees and one of five cocktails. Or, try specials from the company’s Destin, Florida, seafood market.

The National

With stellar service, Peter Dale’s Mediterranean-influenced spot on West Hancock is ideal for celebrations. The bar is a destination in its own right. 

The Place 

With outdoor seating, this Broad Street restaurant offers a great view of North Campus. Sip a cocktail while you peruse the menu, which includes a decadent twist on chicken and waffles.

Porterhouse Grill

This Broad Street steakhouse serves up steak, seafood, pasta and more, paired with an extensive wine list, for a casual fine dining experience.

Late Night

Little Italy

Athens is home to many pizza joints, but this Lumpkin Street dive is known for its late-night social atmosphere. Select from cheap thick- or thin-crust slices and a variety of subs. Open until midnight Monday-Saturday; closed on Sundays. 

The World Famous

With a sizable selection of beers and cocktails, this tiny spot on North Hull Street also offers tasty dishes such as poutine, tofu lettuce wraps and savory pretzel bites served with local honey and house-made mustard. 

This article originally was published in The Red & Black's fall 2020 Visitors Guide special publication. For updated dining listings and news, check out our online Eat & Drink Athens, GA guide.