200516_ks_FarmersMarket_0003.jpg

A sign for the market sits outside of Bishop Park. The Athens Farmers Market opened for vendors and customers during the COVID-19 pandemic, but took precautions to keep all parties as safe as possible on May 16, 2020, in Athens, Georgia. (Photo/ Kathryn Skeean, kskeean@randb.com)

Rather than strolling through familiar grocery store aisles, visitors can take advantage of locally sourced, seasonal goods at a variety of markets. 

All of Athens’ farmers markets have had to adapt to unusual conditions, but they continue to offer an opportunity to enjoy the outdoors and pick up something local to take back home. 

The markets practice CDC guidelines and offer alternative ways to interact with producers. Find full lists of producers and growers on each market’s website. 

Athens Farmers Market

Bishop Park 

Saturdays, noon-5 p.m.

The Bishop Park market offers products from a variety of vendors under strict safety guidelines. From Athens staples such as 1000 Faces Coffee to delicious bakeries, like VTasteCakes, products are available for purchase in-person or through online order and pick-up. You can pre-order and pick up at the Bishop Park location. 

Farming vendors include Diamond Hill, Ladybird, Hearts of Harvest and Sundance Family Farm.

Athens Locally Grown

Tallassee Road

Thursdays, 5-8 p.m.

This collaboration involving nearly 100 farms in Athens is accessible through an online farmers market where customers can order what they want and pick it up on Saturdays from the West Side location. 

Customers can place orders through athens.locallygrown.net from Sunday evening to Tuesday at 8 p.m. Featured products include spices, pickled produce and elderberry juice. 

West Broad Farmers Market

Athens Housing Authority

Pick up in person Fridays or by drive-thru, Saturdays

Operated by the Athens Land Trust, the West Broad Farmers Market showcases about 40 vendors offering seasonal products and artisan goods, including produce grown at some of the Athens Land Trust’s own community gardens. The market has shifted to online ordering and pick-up during the pandemic. 

The market is open for online orders between Sunday at 5 p.m and Thursday at 1 p.m.