200902_CNH_AgoraVintage-9.JPG

Free masks are on display in the front window of Agora Vintage, a boutique in downtown Athens, on Sept. 2, 2020 in Athens, Georgia. Store owner, Airee Edwards, buys the masks from Tia Cox, a woman in Tennessee who is unable to work due to COVID-19 and now makes and sells masks. Edwards buys the masks in bulk, giving them away to Athens’ local businesses and anyone who asks. “I just want everyone to feel safe and have one if they need one or cannot afford one,” said Edwards. (Photo/Caroline Head, chead@randb.com)

High End

Heery’s Clothes Closet

Since 1959, Heery’s has outfitted generations of students and alumnae. Its designer lines include Rag & Bone, Marie Oliver and Vince. 

Kempt

From trendsetting California surf brands to timeless pieces your grandpa may have in his closet, Kempt focuses on modern menswear with brands such as Mavi denim.

Trendy

Cheeky Peach

For future concert-going, head to this shop which describes itself with adjectives like “fearless” and “badass.” 

Fringe

Looking for a statement piece? Choose from a multitude of ripped jeans, big earrings, graphic tees and animal-print shoes.

Pitaya

From its East Clayton Street shop, it sells everything from rompers to track jackets. 

Red Dress Boutique

An entrepreneurial success story, thanks in part to its founder's appearance on "Shark Tank," this online retailer has a College Avenue storefront stocked with affordable on-trend dresses and accessories. 

Recycled

Agora Vintage

If designer clothing is your passion, explore Agora’s collection of Chanel and Hermès. 

Dynamite Clothing

For men and women’s styles, this Jackson Street vintage store has one-of-a-kind pieces.

Southern Classic

Dress Up

It’s hard to ignore the two spurts of new arrivals every week including jumpsuits and graphic tees. 

Empire South

This versatile store offers popular brands such as Southern Tide, Patagonia and Southern Marsh.

The Impeccable Pig

The place to find a dress for brunch or a walk in the park. 

Onward Reserve

Founded by a UGA alum, this retailer has a hunting lodge-meets-business-casual aesthetic with brands such as Shinola and Levi’s.

Bohemian 

American Threads

A smaller chain with stores in several Southern states, American Threads carries boho-style clothes, shoes, jewelry and bags.

Epiphany

This women’s boutique puts a twist on affordable fashion with a mission of donating profits to local and global charities.

Community

The Jackson Street shop features sustainable creations by local designers and a great selection of gifts and cards. Check out the customizable Athens gift boxes.

Bling

Aurum Studios

Check out the work of in-house jewelry designers.

Kum’s Fashions

Since 1978, this shop has provided students with cool accessories. Find brands like Ray-Ban, Oakley, Coyote and Maui Jim. 

Margo Sterling Silver

A jewelry and metaphysical store, Margo carries beads and crystals

Tena’s Fine Diamonds & Jewelry

This store offers a build-your-own engagement ring service as well as a selection of high-end watches.

Music & Gifts

Archer Paper Goods 

Archer sells a wide variety of stationery, gift items, graphite pencils and more. 

Bear Hug Honey Company

Bear Hug sells local and internationally-sourced honey along with gifts and housewares.

Bizarro-Wuxtry Comics

The sister store to Wuxtry Records is a hive of comics and collectibles.

The Indigo Home

Discover a huge selection of colorful dorm and apartment decor.

Low Yo Yo Stuff Records

This shop carries vinyl and CDs as well as books and posters.

Native America Gallery 

This store sells Native American-inspired items, from jewelry to clothing to gift items.

Wuxtry Records

A legendary local source for all things vinyl. 

This article originally appeared in the fall 2021 edition of The Red & Black's  Visitors Guide special publication.