200902_CNH_AgoraVintage-9.JPG

Free masks are on display in the front window of Agora Vintage, a boutique in downtown Athens, on Sept. 2, 2020 in Athens, Georgia. Store owner, Airee Edwards, buys the masks from Tia Cox, a woman in Tennessee who is unable to work due to COVID-19 and now makes and sells masks. Edwards buys the masks in bulk, giving them away to Athens’ local businesses and anyone who asks. “I just want everyone to feel safe and have one if they need one or cannot afford one,” said Edwards. (Photo/Caroline Head, chead@randb.com)

Retailers throughout Athens have had to adjust just like everyone else. But although operations and guidelines create a different experience, Athens still boasts a wide range of shopping opportunities — from zany consignment stores to high-end and "up-cycled" wear. 

Some regulations may include mandatory masks, limits on the number of employees and customers in store and curbside pickup or other contactless services. Appointments may also be required at some shops, so make sure to check hours and operations before you go!

High End

Heery’s Clothes Closet

Since 1959, Heery’s has outfitted generations of students and alumnae. Its designer lines include Rag & Bone, Marie Oliver and Vince. 

Pitaya

From its East Clayton Street shop, it sells everything from rompers to track jackets. 

Red Dress Boutique

An entrepreneurial success story, thanks in part to its founder's appearance on "Shark Tank," this online retailer has a College Avenue storefront stocked with affordable on-trend dresses and accessories. 

Kempt

From trendsetting California surf brands to timeless pieces your grandpa may have in his closet, Kempt focuses on modern menswear with brands such as Mavi denim.

Trendy

Cheeky Peach

For future concert-going, head to this shop which describes itself with adjectives like “fearless” and “badass.” 

Fringe

Looking for a statement piece? Choose from a multitude of ripped jeans, big earrings, graphic tees and animal-print shoes.

Recycled

Agora Vintage

If designer clothing is your passion, explore Agora’s collection of Chanel and Hermès. 

Atomic

This vintage shop is ideal for great deals on authentic looks that have cycled back into style. 

Dynamite Clothing

For men and women’s styles, this Jackson Street vintage store has one-of-a-kind pieces.

Southern Classic

Dress Up

It’s hard to ignore the two spurts of new arrivals every week including jumpsuits and graphic tees. 

Empire South

This versatile store offers popular brands such as Southern Tide, Patagonia and Southern Marsh.

The Impeccable Pig

The place to find a dress for brunch or a walk in the park. 

Onward Reserve

Founded by a UGA alum, this retailer has a hunting lodge-meets-business-casual aesthetic with brands such as Shinola and Levi’s.

Bohemian 

American Threads

A smaller chain with stores in several Southern states, American Threads carries boho-style clothes, shoes, jewelry and bags.

Epiphany

This women’s boutique puts a twist on affordable fashion with a mission of donating profits to local and global charities.

Community

The Jackson Street shop features creations by local designers, “upcycled” vintage wear  and  a great selection of gifts and cards.

Bling

Kum’s Fashions

Since 1978, this shop has provided students with cool accessories. Find brands like Ray-Ban, Oakley, Coyote and Maui Jim. 

Tena’s Fine Diamonds & Jewelry

This store offers a build-your-own engagement ring service as well as a selection of high-end watches. 

Margo Sterling Silver

A jewelry/metaphysical store, Margo carries beads and crystals.

Aurum Studios

Check out the work of in-house jewelry designers.

For the Fans

The Clubhouse

Founded by UGA alumni in 1975, this shop stocks all things Georgia. 

The Red Zone

This mom-and-pop store is an explosion of college apparel and gifts from brands such as Nike, Champion and Cutter & Buck.

Music & Gifts

Wuxtry Records

A legendary local source for all things vinyl. 

Bizarro-Wuxtry Comics

The sister store to Wuxtry Records is a hive of comics and collectibles.

Low Yo Yo Stuff Records

This shop carries vinyl and CDs as well as books and posters.

Bear Hug Honey Company

Bear Hug sells local honey along with gifts and housewares.

Treehouse on Main

Find home decor, as well as apparel and bed, bath and body products.