Bryan Varin

Courtesy Bryan Varin

Executive Director of University of Georgia Dining Services since 2016, Varin has worked in dining services for almost two decades.

What surprises people about food on campus?

People are typically surprised when they see how beautiful and large Bolton Dining Commons is, and the quality and selection of food. Collegiate dining has undergone a lot of changes in the past couple of decades, with a focus on food quality and quality of service. Sometimes, particularly parents, they come in and might have a vision of college dining of what they experienced 20 or 30 years ago.

What’s your favorite thing to eat on campus?

My guilty pleasure is Panda Express. The Cuban sandwich at East Side Deli is a guilty pleasure too. If I’m talking dining halls, I have a hard time resisting fried chicken. I try to eat really healthy because I jokingly say I’ve been on the meal plan for 17 years, but I also try to indulge my cravings.

And your favorite place to eat off-campus?

I really like home.made for a good night out, or a date night with my wife. If I’m talking casual, Hi-Lo Lounge has great food. Their bowl of Cincinnati chili has cheese, onions and jalapeno. It’s hands-down fantastic.

This article originally appeared in the spring 2019 Visitors Guide