"R.E.M" Trestle

"R.E.M" Trestle (Photo/Reynolds Rogers)

Stretching along the Oconee River between Third and Oconee streets, Chicopee-Dudley is mostly residential and home to students and longtime locals. While close to downtown, it offers plenty of ways to experience the outdoors.

Where to Eat and Drink

Mama’s Boy — Beloved thanks to its charm and nontraditional menu of updated Southern classics. Weekend brunch lines can be long, so consider Pancake Tuesday instead.

Weaver D’s Delicious Fine Foods — Famous for its slogan “Automatic for the People,” that became the title of an R.E.M. record.

What to Do and See

Trail Creek Park — This park contains the Athens Heritage Trail, dotted with historical markers and displays. It also is home to the railroad trestle featured on R.E.M.’s “Murmur” cover.

North Oconee River Greenway — This bike/walk/run path offers miles of trails.

The steeple of St. Mary’s Church — All that remains of the church where R.E.M. played its first show, the steeple now is the signature feature of Nuci’s Space, a center for musicians.

This article originally appeared in the spring 2019 Visitors Guide