Thomas Reade Rootes Cobb House

Courtesy Thomas Reade Rootes Cobb House

Homes and buildings from the early 1800s still stand in Cobbham, prized for its proximity to downtown.

What to See and Do

MAKE HOUSE CALLS — You can tour the former homes of Thomas Reade Rootes Cobb, for whom the neighborhood is named, and famed newspaperman Henry W. Grady. These house museums provide insight into Athens’ past.

Avid Bookshop — The acclaimed indie bookstore’s original location on Prince Avenue hosts readings and events.

Where to Eat and Drink

Big City Bread Cafe — This eatery is known for comforting breakfasts, hearty sandwiches and spacious outdoor seating.

The Grit — A vegetarian classic and popular with omnivores, too, this Prince Avenue spot has a massive lunch menu including sandwiches, burritos and noodle bowls. Don’t miss the vegan desserts.

Donderos’ Kitchen — Nestled into a restored home, this is a cozy destination for breakfast and lunch.

Hendershot’s — This coffee shop also has a full bar and hosts music and comedy.

Seabear Oyster Bar — Fresh seafood and sophisticated cocktails are the hallmarks here.

This article originally appeared in the spring 2019 Visitors Guide