Creature Comforts

Courtesy Creature Comforts Brewing Company

Akademia Brewing Company

Opened in 2017, Akademia is the newest brewery in town. Located off Atlanta Highway, the brewery focuses on producing a wide variety of beer and finding twists on classic brews. In addition to its beers, Akademia also serves a full lunch and dinner menu, featuring flatbreads, burgers, wings, wine, liquor and guest beers. The brewery has opened a side space called the Odeon where it will host live acts. akademiabc.com

Creature Comforts Brewing Company

Located at the corner of Hancock Avenue and Pulaski Street, the downtown Creature Comforts tasting room is open Tuesday through Sunday. Patrons can sample a variety of beer, including seasonal and limited edition brews as well as year-round favorites Athena, Tropicália and Classic City Lager. The brewery often holds community events such as music, comedy and art shows. Creature Comforts completed a second brewing facility at the former Southern Mills Factory off North Chase Street in June 2018 and plans to add a tasting room at this location. creaturecomfortsbeer.com

Terrapin Beer Co.

Since its founding in 2002, Terrapin has become Athens’ most widely distributed beer, with brands that include Hopsecutioner, Up-Hi IPA and Luau Krunkles. In 2016, the craft division of MillerCoors bought a majority interest in the company. At the Newton Bridge Road brewery, visitors can sample unusual brews, browse the gift shop and enjoy the large outdoor bar and dog-friendly grassy open area. terrapinbeer.com

Southern Brewing Company

Southern Brewing joined the Athens brewery family in 2015. The Highway 29 hotspot features spacious indoor and outdoor areas. On busier nights, local bands often play and food trucks stop by. The company’s brews include 7AM Session Ale, Midnight Train porter and Wild Azalea saison. sobrewco.com

This article originally appeared in the spring 2019 Visitors Guide